Established, experienced and focused, we offer market leading expertise in Hong Kong across the full range of business law services for clients active in the region.
A top-tier track record and extensive resources
We opened our Hong Kong office in 1980, our first in the Asia Pacific region, and today we are the leading international firm in Asia Pacific.
Our track record of top-tier deals is built on substantial resources – clients have access to more than 150 lawyers in our Hong Kong office, and 400-plus lawyers in our seven other Asia Pacific offices in Australia, China, Japan, Korea and Singapore.
When projects involve jurisdictions outside Asia Pacific, or the input of specialist lawyers, we can call on the wider resources of our 3,400-lawyer firm.
Experience that delivers for domestic, regional and international clients
We use our experience of complex cross-border deals to manage multi-office teams efficiently and work effectively with local law firms in Asia Pacific countries where we don't have an office.
International clients value our on the ground regional network, particularly if they want to develop business in China or the region's other fast-growing economies. They know that our advice is based on hands-on local market experience.
Domestic and regional clients draw upon our teams' local and regional know-how – we in turn utilise our international network to help them with their activities outside the region. Our people are well known for their work with clients who want to access Hong Kong's financial markets.
A team that mirrors Hong Kong's role as a regional hub
Hong Kong is a hub for Asian business and we reflect this – we combine regional reach and deep sector expertise in a single office.
We do this in a number of ways. For example, our teams in Hong Kong all have strong links with, and first-hand experience of, the intricacies of the markets in mainland China, Japan, Korea, South East Asia and other parts of the region.
- Clifford Chance advises EQT Private Equity on sale of majority stake in CFB Group
- Clifford Chance advises APG on joint venture with Wang On Properties
- Clifford Chance advises Navis Capital Partners on disposal of its entire interest in QIMA
- Clifford Chance advises on Zhihu's landmark Hong Kong IPO and Dual Primary Listing
- Clifford Chance advises Bank of China (Hong Kong) and HSBC on world's largest retail green bond issuance
- Clifford Chance advises on Tianqi Lithium's US$2 billion IPO and Hong Kong Listing
- Clifford Chance advises on CALB's US$1.3 billion Hong Kong IPO and Listing
- Clifford Chance advises HKMC on inaugural dual-tranche social bonds
Directory and client comments
Chambers & Partners, Greater China Region 2022
- Band 1 in Aviation: Finance (International Firms)
- Band 1 in Banking & Finance (International Firms)
- Band 1 in Banking & Finance: Leveraged & Acquisition Finance (International Firms)
- Band 1 in Capital Markets: Debt (International Firms)
- Band 1 in Capital Markets: Equity (International Firms)
- Band 1 in Competition/Antitrust (International Firms)
- Band 1 in Corporate/M&A: The Elite (International Firms)
- Band 1 in Financial Services (International Firms)
- Band 1 in Investment Funds: Hedge funds (International Firms)
- Band 1 in Projects & Infrastructure (International Firms)
- Band 1 in Restructuring/ Insolvency (International Firms)
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023, Hong Kong
- Tier 1 in Asset finance (including aviation and shipping finance)
- Tier 1 in Banking and finance
- Tier 1 in Capital markets (debt)
- Tier 1 in Capital markets (equity)
- Tier 1 in Dispute resolution: international arbitration
- Tier 1 in Investment funds
- Tier 1 in Regulatory
- Tier 1 Restructuring and insolvency
IFLR 1000 Asia Pacific 32nd edition (2021/ 2022), Hong Kong
- Tier 1 in Banking
- Tier 1 in Capital markets: Debt
- Tier 1 in Capital markets: Equity
- Tier 1 in Financial services regulatory
- Tier 1 in Hedge funds, Private equity funds, Real estate funds
- Tier 1 in Leveraged finance
- Tier 1 in M&A
- Tier 1 in Private equity
- Tier 1 in Project finance
- Tier 1 in Restructuring and insolvency
- "Their expertise is second to none"
Chambers Greater China Region 2022 – Aviation: Finance (International Firms)
- "able to deliver legal services and advice in a highly professional and stable manner."
Chambers Greater China Region 2022 – Banking & Finance (International Firms)
- "Generally speaking, Clifford Chance outperforms others significantly in terms of acting as either issuer's or underwriters’ counsel, execution and maintenance of the deal timetable, handling sophisticated structures and restrictions from regulators and liaising with different counterparties smoothly."
Chambers Greater China Region 2022 – Capital Markets (International Firms)
- "they can fully explore the logic behind the case, and the client's needs, and customise their legal services accordingly."
Chambers Greater China Region 2022 – Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (International Firms)
- "The team has been very responsive, professional and cost-efficient, advising on key legal documents, strategic moves and possible solutions."
Chamber Greater China Region 2022 – Dispute Resolution: Litigation (International Firms)
- "As the leading firm in the industry, they are experienced and professional, which helps expedite the legal process."
Chambers Greater China Region 2022 – Financial Services (International Firms)
- "Clifford Chance has always delivered exceptional client service,"
Chambers Greater China Region 2022 – Real Estate (International Firms)
- "Clifford Chance are renowned for bank-led restructuring."
Chambers Greater China Region 2022 – Restructuring/Insolvency (International Firms)
- Aviation Law Firm of the Year
Asian Legal Business Hong Kong Law Awards 2022
- Investment Funds Law Firm of the Year
Asian Legal Business Hong Kong Law Awards 2022
- International Firm of the Year
IFLR Asia Pacific 2022
- Asia Pacific Law Firm of the Year
Chambers Asia Pacific Awards 2020
- China practice of the year - International law firm
IFLR Asia Pacific Awards 2020