Skip to main content

Clifford Chance

Clifford Chance

News and awards

Clifford Chance advises international banking consortium on the financing of the offshore wind farm "Nordsee One"

  • en
  • de
  • Language options

19 March 2015

Clifford Chance advises international banking consortium on the financing of the offshore wind farm "Nordsee One"

Clifford Chance has advised a consortium of international banks on the financing of an offshore wind farm off the northern coast of Germany called "Nordsee One".

The ten banks participating in the consortium advised by Clifford Chance included ABN AMRO, Bank of Montreal, Commerzbank, Export Development Canada, Helaba, KfW IPEX, National Bank of Canada, Natixis, Rabobank and The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi. In total, they are providing approximately 70% of the project’s required costs by way of an EUR 840 million non-recourse secured facility.

Northland Power Inc. and RWE Innogy GmbH, Essen (Germany), announced today that the EUR 1.2 billion Nordsee One project has reached financial close, with all of the  Sponsors equity contributed to the project and all debt required now fully committed by the project lenders.

Northland owns 85% of the 332 megawatt offshore wind farm to be located 40 kilometres north of Juist Island in German territorial waters in the North Sea, whilst RWE Innogy retains the remaining 15% interest.

Once operational, Nordsee One is expected to generate over 1,200 gigawatt hours of electricity per year with its 54 turbines, enough to meet the needs of approximately 400,000 German households.

The Clifford Chance team was led by partner Dr. Florian Mahler (Düsseldorf) and comprised counsel Jens Augst (Frankfurt), senior associate Dr. Axel Schlieter, associates Bahar Rahimyar and Kevin Wilcock (Düsseldorf), senior associate Anna Thwaites (Frankfurt) from Banking & Capital Markets, as well as partner Dr. Björn Heinlein, counsel Dr. Mathias Elspaß and senior associate Dr. Jutta Mues from Corporate/Energy and Infrastructure (Düsseldorf), and senior associates Jan Wittrodt (Frankfurt) and Dr. Philipp Heer (Düsseldorf), both Corporate. Counsel Hein Tonnaer and Associate Sarah Lewis (both in Banking & Capital Markets) were advising from Clifford Chance's Amsterdam office.

Clifford Chance berät internationales Bankenkonsortium bei der Finanzierung des Offshore-Windparks "Nordsee One"

Die internationale Anwaltssozietät Clifford Chance hat ein internationales Bankenkonsortium aus Kanada, Frankreich, den Niederlanden, Deutschland und Japan bei der Finanzierung des Offshore-Windparks "Nordsee One" beraten.

Die zehn Banken, die von Clifford Chance umfänglich bei der Transaktion begleitet wurden, sind: ABN AMRO, Bank of Montreal, Commerzbank, Export Development Canada, Helaba, KfW IPEX, National Bank of Canada, Natixis, Rabobank und The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi. Sie stellen über die non-recourse Projektfinanzierung in Höhe von 840 Millionen fast 70 Prozent der Projektkosten bereit.

Northland Power Inc. und RWE Innogy GmbH, Essen, haben heute bekannt gegeben, dass Financial Close für das Offshore-Windprojekt Nordsee One mit einem Investitionsvolumen von insgesamt 1,2 Milliarden Euro erreicht und die gesamte für das Projekt notwendige Finanzierung (Eigen- und Fremdkapital) platziert worden ist.

Northland Power ist mit 85 Prozent an dem 40 Kilometer nördlich der Insel Juist gelegenen Offshore-Windpark beteiligt, der mit einer Leistung von 332 Megawatt (MW) errichtet werden soll. Die restlichen 15 Prozent liegen in der Hand von RWE Innogy.

Die Inbetriebnahme des Windparks ist für 2017 geplant; die Offshore-Arbeiten sollen bereits 2016 starten.

Nach Inbetriebnahme wird Nordsee One mit 54 Windturbinen pro Jahr über 1.200 Gigawattstunden Strom erzeugen, was dem Bedarf von umgerechnet rund 400.000 deutschen Haushalten entspricht.

Das Beratungsteam von Clifford Chance unter Federführung von Partner Dr. Florian Mahler (Düsseldorf) bestand aus Counsel Jens Augst (Frankfurt), Senior Associate Dr. Axel Schlieter, den Associates Bahar Rahimyar und Kevin Wilcock (Düsseldorf), Senior Associate Anna Thwaites (Frankfurt) – alle Banking & Capital Markets – Partner Dr. Björn Heinlein, Counsel Dr. Mathias Elspaß und Senior Associate Dr. Jutta Mues (alle Corporate/Energy and Infrastructure, Düsseldorf) sowie den Senior Associates Jan Wittrodt (Frankfurt) und Dr. Philipp Heer (Düsseldorf) – beide Corporate. Im Clifford Chance-Büro Amsterdam waren Counsel Hein Tonnaer und Associate Sarah Lewis (beide Banking & Capital Markets) tätig.