Delivering for our clients in Saudi Arabia through AS&H Clifford Chance
Clifford Chance has been advising a strong client base in Saudi Arabia for over 45 years, including key Saudi ministries and government entities as well as a wide range of government-owned and privately held Saudi and international businesses, listed companies and financial institutions. We have had an on-the-ground presence in Riyadh for decades in a variety of forms and have had a highly successful co-operation with Abuhimed Alsheikh Alhagbani Law Firm (AS&H) since November 2016.
Following recent legislative changes in Saudi Arabia, with effect from 1 May 2023, our co-operation arrangement with AS&H became a new joint venture named AS&H Clifford Chance. Building upon the unique relationship that we have built over the years, as well as our leading position in Saudi Arabia, our new combined structure creates an even stronger and more integrated legal offering for our regional and international clients in the exceptionally dynamic and fast-growing market in Saudi Arabia.
AS&H Clifford Chance is the leading law firm in Saudi Arabia with a deep bench of around 65 Saudi nationals and internationally qualified lawyers who are specialists across a range of practice areas including:
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution services
- Financial services and markets regulated business
- Legislative drafting, regulatory and public policy
- Real estate and construction
We have a positive working relationship with the Capital Market Authority (CMA) and the Ministry of Commerce and Investment (MOCI). We have been closely involved with the CMA and the Saudi Stock Exchange in revising the Listing Rules and proposing the new Offering Rules and are therefore familiar with the new regulations that are likely to come into force during this transaction. We have also played a key role in drafting the new Insolvency law with MOCI in Saudi Arabia.
We have used the experience we have gained on complex, fast-paced transactions to make sure that clients get the highest standards of service from a team that fits their needs. We build tailored teams that combine local and regional know-how with specialist contributions from the firm's formidable resources – over 3,600 lawyers across our international network.
Highlights of our market-leading experience includes advising:
- on the largest ever M&A transaction in the Middle East
- Ad Hoc Creditors' Committee of NMC Healthcare on its ground-breaking USD 7 billion financial restructuring, including the first ever use of ADGM administration and deeds of company arrangement
- on the procurement, construction, project finance and real estate aspects of numerous megaprojects in Saudi Arabia including the Red Sea Project and Six Flags Qiddiya
- on two of the largest ever transactions in the oil & gas sector in the Middle East involving Saudi Aramco Oil Pipelines and Saud Aramco Gas Pipelines
- on the landmark privatisations of five of Saudi Arabia's international airports
- on the landmark initial public offering (IPO) and dual listing of Americana Restaurants on the Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange (ADX) and Saudi Exchange (Tadawul), the first concurrent dual listing in the region
- Bank Albilad on the successful carve out of its remittance business, Enjaz, into a new payment services company
- Public Investment Fund on the USD 3.2 billion sale of shares in STC through a secondary public offering
We are consistently ranked Tier One for each of our practice areas by Chambers Global, IFLR1000 and Legal 500 and our team has won the prestigious Saudi Arabian Law Firm of the Year at the IFLR Middle East awards in 2022 (for the 11th time), more than any other law firm.
Chambers Global: Saudi Arabia, 2019-2023
- Tier 1 in Banking & Finance
- Tier 1 in Capital Markets
- Tier 1 in Corporate/M&A
- Tier 3 in Dispute Resolution
Legal 500: Saudi Arabia, 2023
- Tier 2 in Banking & Finance
- Tier 2 in Capital Markets
- Tier 3 in Corporate/M&A
- Tier 3 in Projects and Energy/Infrastructure