Peter Mucchetti specializes in antitrust litigation and competition matters. He has more than twenty-five years of antitrust litigation, investigations, and merger clearance experience, with particular expertise in the technology, healthcare, and consumer products industries.
Prior to joining Clifford Chance, Peter worked at the US Department of Justice (DOJ) Antitrust Division, where he served as the Chief of its Healthcare and Consumer Products Section.
- Representing global software companies in responding to multiple subpoenas investigating anticompetitive conduct by a major industry leader in online search and display advertising.
- Advising a multinational technology company in responding to inquiries from U.S. federal, state, and international antitrust authorities into potential monopolization of social media markets.
- Representing a business-oriented online service company in responding to government and private subpoenas.
- Represented author Stephen King as a third-party trial witness in United States v. Bertlesmann, which challenged the proposed merger of Penguin Random House and Simon & Schuster.
- United States v. CVS and Aetna (D.D.C. 2019), while at the U.S. Department of Justice
- United States v. Carolinas Healthcare System (W.D.N.C. 2018), while at the U.S. Department of Justice
- United States v. Hillsdale (E.D. Mich. 2018), while at the U.S. Department of Justice
- United States v. Aetna and Humana (D.D.C. 2017), while at the U.S. Department of Justice
- United States v. Anthem and Cigna (D.D.C. 2017), while at the U.S. Department of Justice
- United States v. ABI and SABMiller (D.D.C. 2016), while at the U.S. Department of Justice
- United States v. Verso Paper (D.D.C. 2015), while at the U.S. Department of Justice
- United States v. Flakeboard America (N.D. Cal. 2014), while at the U.S. Department of Justice
News and client work
- Enforcer Insight: New Issues In Healthcare Antitrust, ABA Antitrust Healthcare Chronicle, Vol 35, Issue 1. February 2022
- Examining Equity and ESG Considerations in Healthcare Antitrust, American Bar Association Antitrust Law Section, The Antitrust Counselor, September 2021
- New York State Senate Passes ‘Twenty-First Century Anti-Trust Act,’ Aimed to Curb Big Tech, The Computer & Internet Lawyer, October 2021
- Time for a Check-Up: the U.S. Healthcare Industry Remains Subject to Aggressive Criminal Antitrust Enforcement, Corporate Counsel Business Journal, March 2021
- On Their Silver Anniversary, It’s Time to Burnish the Healthcare Guidelines, Competition Policy International, May 2021
- Senate Judiciary Committee approves bill to overhaul HSR filing fees - May 13, 2021
- Trends and Development, Chambers and Partners Antitrust Litigation 2020 Guide
September 17, 2020
- Analyzing the Legal Implications of Vertical Integration in the Healthcare Industry – presentation at the American Conference Institute's Forum on Managed Care Disputes and Litigation, July 22 – 23, 2020
- AMI antitrust compliance program, June 2020
- Guidance for HR Antitrust Compliance, Corporate Counsel Business Journal, May 2020
- The FTC/DOJ Draft Vertical Merger Guidelines and Its Implications for Transactions in the Health Care Sector, American Health Lawyers Association, Washington, DC – April 7, 2020
- Vijaybhoomi University #NextInAntitrust Series, HR Antitrust Compliance
- Clifford Chance, Washington D.C.
- +1 202 912 5053
- Email me
- Follow me on LinkedIn
- Speaks English and Spanish
- Practice area Litigation, dispute resolution & risk management, Antitrust, EU & trade
About the Tech Group
Integrated and dynamic, our Tech Group is a single global team delivering strategic tech law advice to help clients stay ahead of the curve and outstrip the pace of change.
Career and qualifications
- Yale University (BA Economics) 1989
- Harvard Law School (JD) 1995
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in the District of Columbia 1999
- Trial Attorney, Litigation I Section, US Department of Justice, Antitrust Division 2003
- Assistant Chief, Litigation I Section, US Department of Justice, Antitrust Division 2011
- Chief, Healthcare and Consumer Products Section, US Department of Justice, Antitrust Division 2012
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2020
- Antitrust Law Section, American Bar Association – Vice Chair, Healthcare and Pharmaceuticals Committee
- American Health Law Association
- Hispanic Bar Association of Washington, D.C.
Awards and citations
- Sharis Pozen and Peter Mucchetti have deep knowledge and contemporary understanding of the laws and the agencies.
Legal 500, 2022 – United States: Antitrust Merger control – Tier 4
- Hugh P. Morrison Award, 2017
- Attorney General Award for Distinguished Service, 2017
- Assistant Attorney General Award of Distinction, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2017, and 2020