André Duminy specialises in outsourcing, technology and business separation matters, with a particular focus on large multi-vendor, multi-jurisdiction outsourcings and outsourcing in the financial services sector.
André advises both customer and supplier clients on IT and business process outsourcing projects, and corporate buyers and sellers on business separation in M&A transactions across the pharmaceutical, telecommunications, technology, banking, oil & gas and financial services sectors.
André is the Head of Clifford Chance's UK Commercial & Technology Group and Global Outsourcing Practice.
- Royal Dutch Shell on all aspects of their $4 billion + multi-vendor, full IT infrastructure and ADM outsourcing projects in 140+ countries
- HSBC on an outsourcing project, whereby JP Morgan Funds (Asia) Limited outsourced fund administration, transfer agency and middle office functions to HSBC in Hong Kong and Taiwan.
- ABN AMRO on its first, second and third generation global €1.8 billion+ IT sourcing strategy and multi-vendor, multi-country contracts, including managed network services and a move to a private cloud solution
- UBS on the procurement, development and implementation of a core banking software solution
- XL Catlin on their multi-vendor IT refresh programme and global outsourcing
- The Co-Operative Bank on their desktop outsourcing and renewal project
- Asterion on the acquisition from Telefonica a portfolio of 11 data centres spread out over Spain, the USA, Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Chile and Mexico
- WEX Inc. on its US$1.7 billion acquisition of travel industry B2B payments solutions provider eNett and Optal, a "B2B transactions optimizer".
- Standard Life on their investment in a global platform technology services provider, together with services and IT development agreements
- EVRY on a world first supplier-to-supplier multi-billion dollar outsourcing with IBM to manage the IT infrastructure that supports its operations in Norway and Sweden
- WEX on an infrastructure "lift-out" outsourcing to CSC, covering multiple countries
- HSBC on a fund administration, middle office and custody outsourcing with Admin Re
- ICAP on all IT and separation-relation issues in relation to the sale of their voice broking business to Tullet Prebon
- Citi on a fund administration, middle office and custody outsourcing, with one of the largest UK asset managers
Clifford Chance advises Telefonica on the merger between O2 and Liberty Global's Virgin Media
7 May 2020
Clifford Chance advises Deutsche Börse - HQLAᵡ innovative new DLT platform for frictionless settlement in the securities lending market
4 February 2020
Clifford Chance advises Cellnex Telecom on its acquisition of Arqiva's Telecoms Towers Business for £2 billion
8 October 2019
Clifford Chance advises Chrysaor on the acquisition of ConocoPhillips UK for US$2.675bn
23 April 2019
Clifford Chance advising on US$114 billion bank merger between Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank and Union National Bank
3 February 2019
Clifford Chance advises ING Group on digital partnership with AXA establishing a global insurance platform
22 June 2018
Clifford Chance advises Cinven and CeramTec on the takeover of UK Electro-Ceramics
23 February 2017
Clifford Chance advised Cambian Group plc on the proposed disposal of its Adult Services Business to Cygnet Health Care Limited
6 December 2016
Clifford Chance advises EVRY on a billion-dollar outsourcing agreement with IBM
15 December 2015
Clifford Chance advises Johnson Matthey plc on the sale of Alfa Aesar to Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc
29 June 2015
Clifford Chance advises Amdipharm Mercury (AMCo) on its acquisition of Abcur
11 December 2013
Clifford Chance advises Amdipharm Mercury Company Limited (AMCo) on its acquisition of the Fucithalmic® pharmaceutical product business of LEO Pharma A/S
20 March 2013
Clifford Chance advises The Situs Companies on the acquisition of Deutsche Bank's commercial mortgage backed securities business
14 November 2012
Clifford Chance advises Carlyle and banks on £1bn acquisition of RAC
23 June 2011
Global M&A Toolkit
- André outlines key considerations for separating a business and putting in place transitional services arrangements (January 2014)
- André explores some of the key issues that tend to come up as part of the planning, negotiation and implementation of separation projects in M&A (January 2014)
- Clifford Chance, London
- Email me
- Save my Vcard
- Speaks Afrikaans (native) and English
- Practice area Intellectual property , Telecommunications, media & technology , M&A corporate
- Sector Healthcare, life sciences & chemicals , Power & energy networks , Banks , Telecommunications, media & technology , Oil & gas
Career and qualifications
- Stellenbosch University (BA, LLB) 1995
- Admitted as an attorney in South Africa 1998
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2003
- Legal technology consultant to Royal Mail 1998
- Joined Clifford Chance 1999
- Partner since 2007
Awards and citations
- André Duminy comes recommended for major outsourcing projects and also M&A deals in the tech sector. Clients say: "He has impressed with his clarity of thought and pragmatic approach."
Chambers UK 2020 – Information Technology
- André Duminy is "pragmatic and approachable, and emphasises getting the deal done." According to clients, "he has a great mix of commercial skills and wide experience, making him extremely effective in transactions."
Chambers UK 2020 – Outsourcing
- 'André Duminy's knowledge of the industry and excellent negotiation and communication skills, combined with first-class legal knowledge, make him a unique individual', and his 'negotiating skills are second to none as is his commitment to his clients' cause'.
Legal 500 2020 – Commercial Contracts
- Chambers UK 2020: Ranked Band 5 for UK-wide Information Technology
- Chambers UK 2020: Ranked Band 3 for UK-wide Outsourcing
- Legal 500 UK 2020: Leading Individual Commercial Contracts
- "He was able to drive through negotiations on a range of complex issues in a very effective manner. He was a great asset to have on the project."
Chambers UK 2019 – Information Technology
- "He's a brilliant lawyer but also keen to use the law as an instrument for commercial goals."
Chambers UK 2019 – Outsourcing
- "Top-notch strategic adviser" André Duminy, who is the global head of outsourcing and commercial contracts, "consistently impresses with his commercial judgment"
Legal 500 2018 – Commercial Contracts
- Andre Duminy is highly regarded in the market for his expertise on global outsourcing deals. One source says that "it is about trust, and big companies put their trust in him."
- Chambers UK: Ranked Band 3 for UK-wide Outsourcing