André Duminy specialises in outsourcing, technology and business separation matters, with a particular focus on large multi-vendor, multi-jurisdiction outsourcings and outsourcing in the financial services sector.
André advises both customer and supplier clients on IT and business process outsourcing projects, and corporate buyers and sellers on business separation in M&A transactions across the pharmaceutical, telecommunications, technology, banking, oil & gas and financial services sectors.
André is the Head of Clifford Chance's UK Commercial & Technology Group and Global Outsourcing Practice.
- Royal Dutch Shell on all aspects of their $4 billion + multi-vendor, full IT infrastructure and ADM outsourcing projects in 140+ countries
- HSBC on an outsourcing project, whereby JP Morgan Funds (Asia) Limited outsourced fund administration, transfer agency and middle office functions to HSBC in Hong Kong and Taiwan.
- ABN AMRO on its first, second and third generation global €1.8 billion+ IT sourcing strategy and multi-vendor, multi-country contracts, including managed network services and a move to a private cloud solution
- UBS on the procurement, development and implementation of a core banking software solution
- XL Catlin on their multi-vendor IT refresh programme and global outsourcing
- The Co-Operative Bank on their desktop outsourcing and renewal project
- Asterion on the acquisition from Telefonica a portfolio of 11 data centres spread out over Spain, the USA, Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Chile and Mexico
- WEX Inc. on its US$1.7 billion acquisition of travel industry B2B payments solutions provider eNett and Optal, a "B2B transactions optimizer".
- Standard Life on their investment in a global platform technology services provider, together with services and IT development agreements
- EVRY on a world first supplier-to-supplier multi-billion dollar outsourcing with IBM to manage the IT infrastructure that supports its operations in Norway and Sweden
- WEX on an infrastructure "lift-out" outsourcing to CSC, covering multiple countries
- HSBC on a fund administration, middle office and custody outsourcing with Admin Re
- ICAP on all IT and separation-relation issues in relation to the sale of their voice broking business to Tullet Prebon
- Citi on a fund administration, middle office and custody outsourcing, with one of the largest UK asset managers
News and client work
Global M&A Toolkit
- André outlines key considerations for separating a business and putting in place transitional services arrangements (January 2014)
- André explores some of the key issues that tend to come up as part of the planning, negotiation and implementation of separation projects in M&A (January 2014)
- Clifford Chance, London
- Email me
- Save my Vcard
- Speaks Afrikaans (native) and English
- Practice area Intellectual property, Telecommunications, media & technology, M&A corporate
- Sector Healthcare, life sciences & chemicals, Power & energy networks, Banks, Telecommunications, media & technology, Oil & gas
Career and qualifications
- Stellenbosch University (BA, LLB) 1995
- Admitted as an attorney in South Africa 1998
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2003
- Legal technology consultant to Royal Mail 1998
- Joined Clifford Chance 1999
- Partner since 2007
Awards and citations
- André Duminy comes recommended for major outsourcing projects and also M&A deals in the tech sector. Clients say: "He has impressed with his clarity of thought and pragmatic approach."
Chambers UK 2020 – Information Technology
- André Duminy is "pragmatic and approachable, and emphasises getting the deal done." According to clients, "he has a great mix of commercial skills and wide experience, making him extremely effective in transactions."
Chambers UK 2020 – Outsourcing
- 'André Duminy's knowledge of the industry and excellent negotiation and communication skills, combined with first-class legal knowledge, make him a unique individual', and his 'negotiating skills are second to none as is his commitment to his clients' cause'.
Legal 500 2020 – Commercial Contracts
- Chambers UK 2020: Ranked Band 5 for UK-wide Information Technology
- Chambers UK 2020: Ranked Band 3 for UK-wide Outsourcing
- Legal 500 UK 2020: Leading Individual Commercial Contracts
- "He was able to drive through negotiations on a range of complex issues in a very effective manner. He was a great asset to have on the project."
Chambers UK 2019 – Information Technology
- "He's a brilliant lawyer but also keen to use the law as an instrument for commercial goals."
Chambers UK 2019 – Outsourcing
- "Top-notch strategic adviser" André Duminy, who is the global head of outsourcing and commercial contracts, "consistently impresses with his commercial judgment"
Legal 500 2018 – Commercial Contracts
- Andre Duminy is highly regarded in the market for his expertise on global outsourcing deals. One source says that "it is about trust, and big companies put their trust in him."
- Chambers UK: Ranked Band 3 for UK-wide Outsourcing