Donna Wacker is the Head of contentious regulatory and contentious insolvency in Hong Kong, and a core partner in the Asia Regulatory Group. Admitted in Hong Kong, Australia and England & Wales, Donna has more than 17 years experience in Asia, advising on contentious and advisory regulatory matters and complex litigation with an emphasis on the financial services industry.
Donna's experience extends across advising banks, alternative investment funds, brokerages and listed companies in a wide range of regulatory matters and investigations by regulators across Asia, including investigations into insider dealing and market manipulation, short selling and position reporting. Her clients are diverse in nature with examples of her work including advising leading international financial institutions in regard to local and multi-jurisdictional enforcement and recovery actions (in particular in relation to secured assets in the PRC) and Hong Kong based NPL portfolios. She has acted for a number of financial institutions and corporates in relation to exposure to the global Lehman Brothers estate, in particular litigation in both Hong Kong and internationally to recover trust assets and pursue disputes around close out valuations of collateral in relation to ISDA transactions.
She has also provided counsel to liquidators/provisional liquidators of China Fishery Group, Pioneer Holdings, Peregrine, GITIC (HK), China Nonferrous Metals Group and Baker Group International Holdings in relation to the administration of these liquidations including the recovery of world-wide assets, dispute resolution with contract counter-parties and cross-border insolvency issues.
Donna is a member of our Cyber Security Risk team.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Queensland (LLB with First Class Honours) 1998
- Minter Ellison, Australia 1997
- Admitted as a solicitor in Australia 1999, Hong Kong 2001, England & Wales 2005
- White & Case, Hong Kong 2000
- Joined Clifford Chance Hong Kong 2002
- Partner since 2009
- Chairperson of the Hong Kong Law Society's Overseas Lawyers Committee
- Member of the International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation
Awards and citations
- Described as a "formidable" litigator, Donna Wacker is highly regarded by banks and financial institutions for her contentious regulatory, fraud and insolvency litigation expertise. One source comments: "She's very conscientious and has a good commercial sense, can see the bigger picture quickly and is very sensible in terms of strategy."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020, China, Dispute Resolution: Litigation (International Firms)
- Donna Wacker’s contentious regulatory practice covers enforcement investigations and disputes involving financial products. Her clients include banks, securities firms and clients operating in the fintech industry.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020, China, Financial Services (International Firms)
- Interviewees describe Donna Wacker as "very good at client management." In addition to offering expertise in contentious regulatory matters, she is also singled out for her track record in insolvency disputes.
Chambers Global 2019, China, Dispute Resolution (International Firms)