James is a Senior Associate in the Financial Institutions Group in London. He has worked on a broad range of complex and strategically significant mandates for banks, insurers and asset managers, focusing on cross-border M&A and corporate restructurings.
James specialises in the insurance sector and advises on the full range of corporate and regulatory matters for life and non-life businesses, including Part VII transfers, the Lloyd’s market, Solvency II, insurance distribution arrangements, longevity swaps and with-profits business.
- AXA on the integration of the XL Group and restructuring of its global commercial lines P&C business
- SwissRe on the sale of a minority stake in the ReAssurre Group to MS&AD
- BlackRock on the Part VII transfer of £12 billion of pension assets to Scottish Equitable Plc
- Natixis on the acquisition of a majority interest in Fenchurch Partners LLP
- The Standard Bank Group on the sale of a controlling interest in Standard Bank to ICBC and the spin-out of its London-based investment and corporate banking businesses
- AXA on the €465 million acquisition of Genworth’s global Lifestyle Protection Insurance business.
- BNP Paribas on the acquisition of the Strutt & Parker Group
- The Domestic & General Group on the establishment of new European insurance company and its Brexit restructuring
- AXA on the reorganistion of its European Lifestyle Protection Insurance business
- HSBC on its exclusive takaful distribution arrangements with FWD for its retail banking business in Malaysia
- Reviti on its UK insurance distribution arrangements
- Slice Insurance Technologies on its exclusive U.K. insurance distribution arrangements with L&G
- the With-Profits Committee of Standard Life Assurance Limited on with-profits business matters
- L&G on the proposed acquisition and reinsurance of a significant bulk annuities book
- CVC Capital Partners on the acquisition of the Domestic & General Group from Advent International
- Cerberus Capital Management on the sale of Lucida to Legal & General
- the AA on the restructuring and refinancing of its group operations
- Aviva on the reorganisation of its general insurance business through a Part VII transfer
- Crédit Agricole on the sale of its UK factoring and invoice discounting business to GE Capital
- The weakest link: Regulatory challenges to the GI distribution model
16 May 2019