Anita Lam practises across all areas of employment law, with a particular focus on contentious employment, discrimination and data privacy disputes. As a seasoned litigator, Anita is one of the very few solicitors in Hong Kong who has Higher Rights of Audience granted by the Higher Rights Assessment Board.
Anita's clients include banks, listed companies, airlines, tertiary institutions, hospitals, theme parks, stock brokers, foreign law firms, railway corporations, tunnel operators, publishers, pharmaceutical companies and fashion retailers.
Anita is a member of our global People Risk team.
- Employment Disputes - Anita has led her team members in handling and in many instances winning a broad range of high-profile employment cases
- Inquiries & Investigations - Anita has assisted and represented various corporate clients in regulatory inquiries and internal investigations on matters ranging from white collar crimes, high profile scandals to workplace bullying
- Discrimination & Harassment - Anita has extensive experience in handling a broad range of highly sensitive discrimination and harassment court cases and complaints.
- Data Privacy & Security - Anita regularly assists clients in dealing with privacy complaints, compliance checks by the Privacy Commissioner, as well as data privacy appeals made to the Administrative Appeals Board
- Insolvency, workforce restructuring & non-contentious employment projects - Anita also advises on all non-contentious aspects of employment, discrimination and data privacy
News and client work
- Clifford Chance, London
- +44 207006 4681
- Email me
- Speaks English, Cantonese and Mandarin
- Practice area Employment - advisory, litigation & transactional, Employment, incentives & pensions, Litigation, dispute resolution & risk management
- Sector Consumer goods & retail, Healthcare, life sciences & chemicals, Banks, Insurance, Industrials, Energy & resources, Funds & investment management, Private equity
Career and qualifications
- Bristol University, U.K. (LLB) 1993
- University of Hong Kong (PCLL) 1994
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 1996
- Johnson Stokes & Master (now Mayer Brown JSM) 1996
- DLA Piper 2015
- Solicitor Advocate, Hong Kong 2015
- Joined Clifford Chance as Head of Employment Hong Kong and Consultant 2017
- ACFE Certified Fraud Examiner
- Accredited (General) Mediator, Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre
Awards and citations
- On the contentious front, 'extremely smart, pragmatic and responsive' team head Anita Lam has 'in-depth market knowledge' and has been particularly active of late representing major corporates and financial services clients in relation to sexual harassment (#MeToo) and victimisation disputes/investigations.
Anita is listed as a Leading Individual for Labour and Employment, Hong Kong.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020
- Anita Lam frequently advises on employment litigation relating to dismissals, misuse of confidential information and unpaid incentives, as well as investigations. Multiple clients attest to her insight into the China and Hong Kong markets, with one applauding her for "giving full and well-rounded protection over our interests, approaching things analytically and considering all the risks so we won't fall prey to any."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020
- Anita Lam of Clifford Chance is adept at handling employment-related disputes, lately advising employers on trade union-related disputes, sexual harassment investigations and disputes concerning executive remuneration. Clients enthuse:"Her extensive trial experience translates into excellent ability to test clients' evidence and provide practical and realistic advice on the merits of claims."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2019
- 'Helpful and proactive' team head Anita Lam has expertise across a wide range of employment matters.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019
- Anita's "knowledge and experience in the employment field are top notch. Lam recently advised the liquidators of ATV on the complex labour issues surrounding the company’s widely publicized insolvency."
Legal 500 2017
- "Anita is a skilled litigator with higher rights of audience, who is well regarded in relation to employment disputes and investigations. She assists global companies in high-profile court cases resulting from terminations, and on implementation of new employment policies in Hong Kong."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2016