Our Lusophone Africa practice provides legal advice across Lusophone Africa (Angola, Cabo Verde, Equatorial Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Mozambique).
Our in-depth knowledge of each Lusophone Africa country's local law issues, along with our capabilities acquired in closing complex deals in the region, enables us to bridge the gap between the needs of international financiers and investors, and the demands of local law and custom, in a way that is efficient and constructive.
Our dedicated Lusophone Africa team includes lawyers who are fluent in Portuguese and are qualified in common law and civil law, which is particularly advantageous, as we are easily able to tackle issues specific to the region. Our lawyers work closely together, mobilising the firm's resources in our international offices, to provide optimum client service. By combining international best practice and deep local knowledge, we offer a unique service in Africa, considering both the "big picture" and the nuances of individual jurisdictions.
We work with the best African law firms in the region, with whom we meet on a regular basis.
Our team advises across a full range of legal services (project finance, project development, M&A, corporate/M&A, capital markets, lending, restructuring, TECH, banking and dispute resolution) and across a wide variety of industries (notably energy and natural resources, infrastructure, telecommunications).
The work and expertise of our Lusophone Africa team has been recognized by Chambers Global in the category "Recognised Practitioners" in both Angola and Mozambique for several years.
Our core areas of focus in Lusophone Africa
Our recent experience includes advising:
- Globeleq, Sasol and EDM on Temane, a 450MW Power Project in Mozambique
- A.P. Moller Capital on the acquisition of a 44% stake in Cabeolica, a Cabo Verdean wind energy producer from Africa Finance Corporation (AFC)
- the lenders in connection with a USD2.8 billion master debt framework agreement in relation to the development, refinancing and financing of infrastructure projects and related services in Angola
- on the EUR 640 million financing of seven solar farms in Angola with a combined capacity of 370MW, including one of the largest solar projects in sub-Saharan Africa to date.
- on the financing for the development, design, construction and operation of the only three solar IPPs which have closed so fare in Mozambique: Mocuba – the first to close, Metoro – a greenfield solar PV project, and Cuamba – also known as Tetereane
- Azura Power on its purchase of Sasol's entire interest in Central Termica De Ressano Garcia, the owner and operator of a 175 MW gas to power plant at Ressano Garcia in Mozambique
Our recent experience includes advising:
- Africell, an Africa-focused mobile network operator in relation to a commercial facilities arrangement arranged by Gemcorp Capital LLP to support the group's expansion into the Angolan telecommunications markets
- on the refinancing of a US$1.6 billion term facility agreement entered into with the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Angola for the purchase of turbine generator equipment and related services
- the lender on a US$1 billion revolving and term buyer-credit facilities agreement entered into with the Ministry of Finance for the financing of equipment, machinery and other capital goods
- on a facility provided by a consortium of banks to the Ministry of Finance in connection with a road construction project
The majority of our representations are confidential and not in the public domain.
- Angolan Foreign Exchange Regulations Briefing 2019
17 December 2019
- Publication of Angola's Privatisation Programme 2019-2022
14 August 2019
- Robust team that is best known for its strength in the finance space, where it routinely acts for large financial institutions. Assists clients with credit facility agreements, debt negotiation and project finance matters. Offers further capacity to handle dispute resolution. "They have a lot of experience in transactions with Angolan counterparts and very good knowledge of Angolan law and practices."
Chambers Global - General Business Law – Angola (Expertise Based Abroad), 2021 & 2022
- "Not only they are top lawyers in all aspects in respect of English law, but they also have very good knowledge of local laws and practices and are familiar with the country and its main players."
Legal 500 - Angola (Foreign Firms), 2021
- The firm's main strengths [are] "the high level of the lawyers, and their strategic vision oriented to results and practicality."
Chambers Global - General Business Law – Angola (Expertise Based Abroad), 2020
- Clifford Chance stands out for its expertise in solar power projects, and also has a solid track record in a range of other energy and infrastructure projects. The firm is also renowned for its banking and finance practice.
Legal 500 - Angola (Foreign firms), 2020
- "They are thorough, detail-oriented, experienced, knowledgeable and easy to work with." Significant track record for advising foreign companies on high-profile banking and finance mandates in Mozambique; its work roster comprises oil and gas, infrastructure and energy matters. The firm also acts as counsel to lenders on financing transactions.
Chambers Global - General Business Law: International Firms – Mozambique, 2021 & 2022
- 'Clifford Chance’s Mozambican team have a fantastic genuine “on the ground” experience and is devoted to its clients. They have a great and true concern in solving the problems of its clients and are unbeatable in successfully closing complex deals in Mozambique.'
'Knowledgeable, experienced and well familiar with the local legal requirements as well as international best practices.'
Legal 500 - Mozambique (Foreign Firms), 2021
- The respected team has established itself in the local market with its significant capabilities advising international companies on high-level project finance, oil and gas and energy matters.
Chambers Global - General Business Law: International Firms – Mozambique, 2020
- The 'proactive' Lusophone team'has significant experience in international transactions'. The team is particularly renowned in energy and power projects.
Legal 500 - Mozambique (Foreign firms), 2020
- Africa Power Deal of the Year 2021 – Central Termica de Temane CCGT, Mozambique – IJ Global Awards
- African Power Deal of the Year 2021 - Temane Power Project, Mozambique – PFI Awards
- African Renewables Portfolio Deal of the Year 2020 - Financing of Seven Solar Projects, Angola – IJ Global Awards
- African Midstream Oil & Gas Deal of the Year 2017 - Coral South FLNG, Mozambique – IJ Global Awards