Howard Adler is Chairman of the Firm's Executive Compensation and Employee Benefits Group in the Americas.
Howard's practice focuses on the treatment of executive compensation and employee benefits matters in M&A transactions, designing and implementing equity-based, employment, separation, deferred compensation, change in control and similar compensation arrangements and advising boards of directors on fiduciary duties and governance matters with respect to their executive officers and directors.
- CEO of Seritage Properties in connection with the spin-off of real estate assets by Sears
- Management of Eagle View Technologies in connection with its acquisition by Spectrum group
- CEO and CFO of TPG Group in connection with its acquisition by First Reserve Corporation
- Asset managers of The Trust Company of the West in connection with its acquisition by The Carlyle Group
- Advised Admiral Group plc on the sale of Compare.com Insurance Agency, LLC to Insurify, Inc.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Columbia University (BA) 1982
- Harvard Law School (JD) 1986
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 1987
- New York University School of Law (LLM, Taxation) 1991
- Joined Clifford Chance as Partner 2012
Awards and citations
- Howard Adler has been ranked in Chambers USA: Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation. The "extremely helpful" Howard Adler advises clients on the design and implementation of benefit agreements, as well as various governance matters. "He is a good adviser and has always gotten us the result we hoped for," says a pleased client.
Chambers USA 2019 - Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (New York)
- Howard Adler has been ranked in Chambers USA - Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (New York). "Very smart and sophisticated practitioner" Howard Adler of Clifford Chance US LLP focuses his practice on advising businesses in relation to the benefits and compensation aspects of M&A deals. His areas of expertise include the design and implementation of compensation plans, fiduciary matters and governance issues. Clients describe him as "very responsive and diligent" and appreciate that he is "client-focused."
Chambers USA 2017 - Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation