Daniel Silver focuses on regulatory enforcement and white collar criminal defense matters. Dan represents individuals, investment funds, banks and other corporate entities in matters before the Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and other federal and state enforcement agencies. Dan also counsels clients on risk mitigation strategies with respect to cybersecurity, anti-corruption, sanctions and anti-money laundering issues.
Prior to joining Clifford Chance, Dan spent ten years as a federal prosecutor, serving in several senior leadership positions and as Chief of the National Security and Cybercrime Section within the United States Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of New York. In the U.S. Attorney's Office, Dan supervised a team of more than one hundred federal prosecutors, personally led complex cross-border investigations, conducted more than a dozen jury trials, and argued numerous appeals.
Daniel is a member of our Corporate Culture and Cyber Security Risk teams.
- Successfully represented underwriters' counsel in SEC investigation of multi-billion dollar bond offering. After Wells submission, the SEC declined to recommend an enforcement action.
- Conducted internal investigation for global bank in connection with $50 million fraud. In addition to leading the internal investigation, referred the matter to federal law enforcement authorities which resulted in the indictment and successful prosecution of the perpetrator of the fraud.
- Represented alternative investment fund manager in connection with DOJ securities fraud investigation.
- Represented former Alstom executive charged with Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations. Case resulted in seminal 2nd Circuit opinion which drastically limited the application of the FCPA to non-US persons and entities.
- Represented multinational consumer goods company in connection with two substantial data breaches. Advised the client regarding notification and remediation process, as well as in response to multiple inquiries from data privacy regulators in the U.S. and several foreign jurisdictions.
- Successfully represented CEO of automotive engineering company in connection with DOJ Antitrust Division price-fixing investigation.
- Represented real estate firm in connection with cybersecurity breach resulting in substantial monetary loss. Advised client on interaction with federal law enforcement authorities, insurance coverage analysis, and civil dispute with affected counterparty.
- Advised multinational telecom firm in connection with allegations of corruption at a subsidiary.
- Cyber and Data Privacy Due Diligence
Global Investigations Review, The Guide to Cyber Investigations, 2019
- Questions About Cybersecurity? There's An APP For That!
Corporate Counsel Business Journal
California Consumer Privacy Act Takes Shape: Amendments and Draft Regulations Provide Some Clarity but Questions Remain
23 October 2019
FTC's $5 Billion Penalty Against Facebook: Momentum Builds For Increased U.S. Regulatory Focus On Data Privacy
14 August 2019
GDPR Gets Serious – Two Record-Breaking Cyber Fines in Two Days
17 July 2019
Cyber security - what regulators are saying around the world
5 July 2019
District Court Decision Highlights Risks of Cooperating Too Closely with Government Investigations
10 May 2019
Career and qualifications
- Brown University (BA, Public Policy) 1999
- New York University, School of Law (JD) 2002
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Cheryl Pollak, U.S. Magistrate Judge, Eastern District of New York 2003-2004
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Harold Baer, Jr., U.S. District Court Judge, Southern District of New York 2005-2006
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2016
- Federal Bar Council, Criminal Law Committee
Awards and citations
- Stimson Medal, New York City Bar Association
- Director's Award for Outstanding Counterintelligence Investigation, Federal Bureau of Investigation