Andrew Young advises financial investors and other stakeholders in all aspects of domestic and international debt finance transactions, with a focus on private credit and leveraged finance, and with additional expertise on cross-border transactions, asset-based loans, financings in the tech, insurance, entertainment and LatAm spaces, and private placements. Andrew also advises clients in respect of structured equity investments, warrants, intercreditor arrangements, and work-outs.
- BlackRock in connection with the following direct loans: (i) a $300 million secured term loan facility for Root Inc., a publicly listed automobile InsurTech company; (ii) a $150 million secured term loan facility for Puttshack, a tech-infused mini golf entertainment venue; and (iii) a $125 million club financing backing the acquisition by Vertex Energy of an oil refining operation.
- BlackRock and Silver Point Capital in connection with a US$350 million asset-based term loan facility for InfraBuild, Australia’s largest vertically-integrated steel manufacturer and distributor.
- BlackRock and Angelo Gordon in connection with a US$250 million unsecured financing for Landsea Homes, a leading US home builder.
- A global asset manager in connection with the following private debt financings and investments: (i) a cross-border club financing backing the acquisition by Oaktree of Interblock, a leading developer and supplier of luxury electronic table gaming products; (ii) a unitranche financing for Golden Hippo, a leading marketer of health, beauty, and pet care products; (iii) a club financing for Carlyle-backed Arctic Glacier, one of the largest ice producers in the Americas; (iv) a club financing for Gainline Capital-backed Galaxy Brands, one of the leading importers and wholesalers of athletic and outdoor products; (v) private secured note issuances by Freed Corp., a resort property developer in Canada; (vi) private second lien note issuances by Homes By WestBay, one of the nation's top homebuilders; (vii) a cross-border financing for Fractal, a multinational AI company; (viii) direct loans to Morae Global, a legal and compliance tech provider; (ix) direct loans to Ameriqual, a major shelf-stable foods provider to the government; (x) anchor loans to Open Lending, LLC, an auto lending enablement platform, in relation to its SPAC transactions; and (xi) direct loans to, and equity investments in, Priority 1, a diversified international aerospace and defense company.
- Private equity sponsors and strategic borrowers in the following private debt financings:
(i) OpCapita, in connection with first and second lien facilities provided by Sixth Street and CDIB to support the acquisition of retailer Maurices; (ii) Corinthian Capital, in connection with acquisition financings relating to Eastern Fences, Best Lighting and Renegade Group, and NAV fund financings; (iii) C-III Capital Partners, in connection with acquisition financing provided by Guggenheim; (iv) Falcon Group, in connection with direct loans provided by KKR; and (v) PIMCO, in connection with REIT-related holdco financings.
- Waterfall Asset Management in connection with direct loans to Wheeler REIT.
- Blue Earth Capital in connection with direct loans for environmental and social impact projects, including for clean energy and micro-finance companies in the U.S. and Latin America.
- Partners Group in connection with private notes for Capital Spring, a small business financier.
- Lumos (owned by EQT Infrastructure) on a market-first US$1.1 billion sustainability-linked infrastructure debt financing to fund Lumos’ ambitious fiber roll-out plans and refinance existing indebtedness.
- CVC Capital Partners in connection with a $600 million TLB supporting the acquisition and combination of the Alpha Corporation and Aliancys groups, forming a leading global composite resins enterprise.
- Apollo Commercial Real Estate Finance, Inc., in connection with a $500 million TLB.
- Cinven in connection with leveraged financing supporting its CeramTec acquisition.
- The lead arrangers in connection with over $1.5 billion in first and second lien loans backing the acquisition of Exova Group by Bridgepoint-owned Element Materials to join two of the world's leading testing companies.
- The lead arrangers in relation to a $57 billion committed loan facility backing Bayer's proposed acquisition of Monsanto.
- Bank of China in the following leveraged financings: (i) an $800 million TLB backing the acquisition by private equity funds of Omnivision and (ii) a $400 million exit term loan for GNC in connection with its acquisition by private equity funds.
- The lead arrangers in connection with the financing of Froneri's acquisition of Nestlé's US ice cream business.
- Premia Re, a Bermuda-based reinsurance company owned by Keslo and Arch, in connection with: (i) $110 million of privately placed notes supporting the start-up; (ii) a $190 million LC facility for capital requirements; (iii) a Tier 2 capital raise via 144a notes; and (iv) a $45 million RCF to fund general corporate purposes.
- Watford Re in connection with: (i) an $800 million ABL and (ii) a $100 million 364-day LC facility to support reinsurance obligations.
- MUFG in connection with an LC facility for 1970 Group, a specialized risk financing provider.
- Credit Suisse in connection with a $300 million LC facility backing reinsurance obligations of Athene.
- Elanus Capital Management in connection with a private note issuance by Conifer Insurance Company.
- Legal & General in connection with secured reinsurance arrangements for American General Life Insurance Company.
- Schroders in connection with 144a privately placed notes issued by Security First Managers, a managing general insurance agency.
Latin America Financings
- Goldman Sachs as co-arranger of over $1 billion in debtor-in-possession financing for Avianca Holdings S.A. – Americas Restructuring Deal of 2020, Airline Economics Aviation 100 Awards.
- Klabin, a Brazilian paper producing, exporting and recycling company, in connection with its corporate and export credit facilities.
- Natura, a Brazilian global personal care cosmetics group, in connection with its corporate credit facilities.
- The lead arrangers of approximately $230 million in loans to PetroRecôncavo, backing its acquisition from Petrobras of 34 onshore oilfields and related assets in Brazil.
- A global asset manager in connection with privately placed secured notes issued by a holding company of Mexican power projects.
- Scotiabank Chile in connection with an LC facility for Interchile S.A.
- Lenders in financings for Compania De Petroleos De Chile Copec S.A.
- Lenders in financings for Omega Energy International S.A.
- A global digital assets exchange in connection with a series of crypto-backed financings.
- SMBC in connection with financings for (i) Flex Ltd., a multinational diversified manufacturing company, (ii) Westlake Financial, a major automotive finance company, and (iii) Toyota Industries Commercial Finance, Inc.
- Major corporations in connection with their corporate facilities, including Lennar, iStar Inc., Safehold Inc., Hearst and Eaton.
- UniCredit in connection with financings for Eataly.
- The arrangers in connection with financings for AutoGrill, an Italian-based, multinational catering company.
- HSBC in connection with a secured financing provided to L Brands Inc.
News and client work
- Wall Street-led secondary trading of private credit loans: considerations for stakeholders, October 2023, Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law
- Comparing private credit terms in the US and in Europe, May 2023, International Comparative Legal Guide - Lending & Secured Finance
- Across the pond and back again: what direct lenders should know before deploying historic dry powder, March 2022, Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law
- Across the pond and back again: US and European leveraged finance terms, November 2015, Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law
- Banking & Finance partner Daniel Winick and senior associate Andrew Young were interviewed by "The Left Lead", a weekly newsletter focusing on mid-market lending, in November 2017. In the interview, they discussed hot leveraged lending topics, including incremental loan provisions, MFN protections, and sponsor "big boy" terms influencing the middle market. View part one here, and part two here.
Career and qualifications
- Boston University (BA, Computer Science) 2002
- New York Law School (JD), magna cum laude, 2005
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 2006
- Joined Clifford Chance 2015
- Partner since 2021
Awards and citations
- Ranked as a Next Generation Partner
Legal 500 Latin America 2022, Banking and Finance – International Firms
- Ranked as a Rising Star Partner
IFLR 1000 2022: United States: Banking
- Ranked as a Rising Star
Legal 500 Latin America 2020, Banking and Finance – International Firms