Marcin Bartnicki specialises in corporate and commercial work, acquisitions and disposals, corporate restructuring, joint ventures and distribution agreements. He focuses on the financial institutions, TMT and retail sectors. Marcin also has extensive experience in advising on cross-border transactions and M&A-related insurance.
Marcin's clients include banks, insurers, private equity houses, and telecoms and media companies.
- Advised the AXA Group on its acquisition of the Polish operations of Liberty Mutual operated through a branch of Spain-based Liberty Seguros
- Advised Warburg Pincus on the sale of a 31.7% stake in AmRest Holding SE, a publicly listed company, to a Mexico-based investor
- Advised the AXA Group on its agreement to acquire BREU, a Polish insurance company, from mBank and enter into 10-year distribution agreements for the distribution of life and non-life insurance products in Poland through the mBank network on an exclusive basis
- Advised Ringier Axel Springer on the acquisition of two online businesses (Skąpiec and Opineo) from their founders
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- British Centre for English and European Legal Studies, Warsaw University – Cambridge University (Introduction to English Law and the Law of the European Union) 1999
- Joined Clifford Chance 1999
- Warsaw University (Faculty of Law and Administration) 2000
- Admitted as a legal adviser (radca prawny) in Poland 2005
- King's College London (Postgraduate in EC Competition Law) 2006
- Partner since 2017
- Member of the Warsaw Council for Legal Advisers
Awards and citations
- Clifford Chance’s team is assisting AXA with its acquisition of Liberty Ubezpieczenia. Clients also include Alior Bank and Pramerica. Counsel Marcin Bartnicki [is one of] the key names.
Legal 500 EMEA 2017
- Clifford Chance’s "very dedicated team" includes counsels (…) Marcin Bartnicki. The group advised Warburg Pincus on the private sale of its 37.5% stake in AmRest. CVC Capital Partners, Montagu Private Equity and EQT Partners are also clients.
Legal 500 EMEA 2017
- Clifford Chance’s team advised AXA on its acquisition of BRE Ubezpieczenia, and assisted the management board of Alior Bank with the sale of shares to PZU. Counsel Marcin Bartnicki is recommended.
Legal 500 EMEA 2016
- Clifford Chance "adds value to the negotiation process through out-of-the-box thinking". Counsel Marcin Bartnicki (is) recommended.
Legal 500 EMEA 2012