Grzegorz Namiotkiewicz specialises in banking and securities law.
Grzegorz has vast experience in the finance sector and for the last ten years has been voted one of Poland's leading finance lawyers by both Polish and foreign legal directories and newspapers.
- Advised the European Investment Bank (EBI) on the debut issue of hybrid unsecured subordinated registered bonds in the amount of EUR190 million issued by Tauron Polska Energia S.A. This is the first issue of hybrid bonds of this type by a Polish entity
- Advised Financial institutions (PKO BP S.A., Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego, ING Bank Śląski S.A., and PZU FIZAN BIS 1) acting as arrangers and guarantors under the bond issuance programme of Jastrzębska Spółka Węglowa S.A. (JSW) in a transaction involving a standstill and security arrangement as well as continued negotiations of the terms of restructuring of the bonds issued
- Advised PFR, a Polish sovereign wealth fund, in a project where Grupa LOTOS signed deals with PFR, BGK and Bank Pekao to finance development of the B8 field in the Baltic Sea
- Advised Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego on the granting of a term credit facility to Boryszew S.A. (listed on the WSE, one of the largest capital groups in Poland operating in the automotive, chemical, and metal sectors). The funds obtained by Boryszew S.A. will be used to finance intragroup loans to subsidiaries of Boryszew S.A., designated for financing and refinancing the subsidiaries' investment projects in China, India, and Mexico
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Warsaw (LLM) 1988
- University College London, (LLM, International Business Law) 1994
- Admitted as an advocate (adwokat) in Poland 1995
- Joined Clifford Chance 1996
- Partner since 2000
- Office Managing Partner, Warsaw 2008 - 2018
- Member of The Warsaw Bar Association
Awards and citations
- One of the best-respected finance lawyers in Warsaw Grzegorz Namiotkiewicz advises on high-stakes, multi-jurisdictional project financings in Poland as well as Central and Eastern Europe and is reputed for his regulatory knowledge. Commentators praise him for his in-depth approach, one asserting: "If he says something I always know this is deeply considered."
Chambers Europe 2020: Banking & Finance – Poland
- Star individual Grzegorz Namiotkiewicz is well placed to represent blue-chip financial institutions in high-value, cross-border bond issuances. Sources emphasise his ease in handling DCM matters, one saying: "He is a very experienced lawyer with very deep knowledge."
Chambers Europe 2020: Capital Markets – Poland
- Grzegorz Namiotkiewicz remains one of the leading figures for banking and finance matters. He advises domestic and international financial institutions on high-value debt refinancings and project finance mandates. He is also well regarded for his regulatory expertise. Market sources praise his "grip on the details."
Chambers Global 2019, Banking & Finance - Poland
- Star individual Grzegorz Namiotkiewicz retains his position as one of the leading DCM practitioners, with sources praising his longevity and expertise. He assisted the arrangers, HSBC, Société Générale and BNP Paribas, with the issuance of Eurobonds by state-owned Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego valued at EUR1 billion.
Chambers Global 2019, Capital Markets: Debt - Poland
- Grzegorz Namiotkiewicz is one of the leading practitioners in banking and finance as well as capital markets. He has vast experience leading on some of the biggest financing transactions in the Polish market, with one source referring to him as "absolutely top of the top." He also advises on regulatory matters. He led the team assisting Polski Fundusz Rozwoju with a high-value refinancing of Lotos Petrobaltic's B8 oil and gas field exploitation.
Chambers Global 2018, Banking & Finance - Poland
- Star individual Grzegorz Namiotkiewicz is one of the leading experts in general financing as well as DCM transactions. He recently co-led the team representing Deutsche Bank as an arranger in the issuance of EUR60 billion in bonds by the Republic of Poland on the European market under its EMTN programme. A source especially appreciates his "deep experience and friendly attitude to the other side."
Chambers Global 2018, Capital Markets Debt - Poland