Hein Tonnaer specialises in project finance (with a strong focus on renewable energy), asset finance and export finance. He combines deep sector knowledge in renewables (including offshore, onshore, solar, wind, battery storage), aviation, infrastructure and export finance with legal skills and pragmatic advice. He has advised energy firms, banks, lenders, sponsors and aviation companies lessors across several project & asset-based transactions.
- Project counsel to the 600 MW Gemini project, the largest offshore windfarm in the North Sea
- Lenders counsel in the EUR€350 million financing of the 195 MW onshore NOP Agrowind windfarm located in the Noordoostpolder
- Counsel in relation to the EUR€300 million revolving energy savings fund (Nationaal Fonds Energiebesparing)
View all news and client work featuring Hein Tonnaer
- Contributor to loose-leaf publication Aircraft Finance Online, London: Thomson Reuters (Professional) UK Limited trading as Sweet & Maxwell 2019 (loose-leaf and online, published in December 2019)
- Contributor to loose-leaf publication Aircraft Finance: Regulation, Security and Enforcement, London: Thomson Reuters (Professional) UK Limited trading as Sweet & Maxwell 2015 (loose-leaf and online, updated on August 2019)
- Contributor to German Journal of Air and Space Law (Zeitschrift für Luft- und Weltraumrecht, 2007) on Financing Aircraft Engines – Pitfalls and Solutions
- Contributor to loose-leaf publication Aircraft Liens and Detention Rights (Sweet & Maxwell) for The Netherlands
- Contributor to loose-leaf publication Aircraft Liens & Detention Rights (65), London: Thomson Reuters (Professional) UK Limited trading as Sweet & Maxwell 2015 (loose-leaf and online, updated on January 2018)
View more briefings featuring Hein Tonnaer
View more blog posts featuring Hein Tonnaer
View more podcasts featuring Hein Tonnaer
Career and qualifications
Utrecht University (Law) 2000
- Pekhanov Academy (Economics) 2000
- Admitted as an advocaat in Netherlands 2001
- Joined Clifford Chance 2001
- In-house counsel, VolkerWessels 2007
- In-house counsel, Econcern 2009
- In-house counsel, Eneco Wind 2010
- Re-joined Clifford Chance 2010
- Counsel since 2012
- Partner since 2015
Awards and citations
- Hein Tonnaer is an "excellent lawyer," who is "creative and pragmatic," according to one enthusiastic client. He has a market-leading presence in the renewable energy market, representing lenders and sponsors in financings for both onshore and offshore wind projects and solar farms. He is described by one client as "friendly and looking for a win-win situation but without forgetting our interests."
Chambers Europe 2020
- Clients report that he has a "keen eye for the process"
Chambers Europe 2019
- Rotterdam World Gateway has won the award for 'Ports Deal of the Year' at the IJ Global Awards 2019. The Clifford Chance Amsterdam team that worked on this deal consisted of Hein Tonnaer, Jasper Dijkshoorn and Sahur Adam.
- The Clifford Chance Amsterdam Transportation group, of which Hein is a lead team member, is ranked in Band 1 by Chambers Europe and noted as being "particularly renowned for its aircraft and shipping finance work" with clients commenting "the team's expertise distinguishes it from the rest. It take a no-nonsense approach, provides documents quickly and the lawyers are always available when I need them."