Vanessa Marsland specialises in intellectual property including copyright, patents, trademarks, and designs. She is a specialist editor of Copinger & Skone James on Copyright (14th to 17th Edition).
Vanessa handles transactions, advisory and disputes work across the spectrum of intellectual property rights.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- King's College Cambridge (LLB) 1979
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1981
- Intellectual property partner since 1987
Awards and citations
- Vanessa is listed as a leading "Trade Mark Star, Copyright Star and Transactions Star" in Managing Intellectual Property's IP Stars 2021
- Vanessa Marsland is a "very knowledgeable and skilled IP lawyer", she "has good technical knowledge and is a good negotiator."
Chambers UK 2021 – Intellectual Property
- The Clifford Chance IP team "took time to understand what we were trying to achieve and then provided options for moving before forward. Once we made our decision on how to proceed they provided an invaluable plan of practical steps that needed to be taken whilst they drafted the appropriate documentation. Clear explanations meant we were not bogged down in the legal documentation necessary to achieve our goals.‘
Legal 500 UK 2021 – Intellectual Property: Trade Marks, Copyright and Design
- Vanessa Marsland is an "incredibly impressive lawyer who is disarming yet super-sharp," according to a client.
Chambers UK 2020 – Intellectual Property
- Sources say Vanessa Marsland is "a long-standing presence in the IP community noted for her experience handling high-value IP rights transactions" and "a seasoned trade mark and copyright litigator."
Chambers UK 2019 – Intellectual Property
- Vanessa Marsland is "scarily good at trademarks" and "comes at things from angles others simply don't think of". "Any time you get to be with her is an education." Running the trademark practice at Clifford Chance, she serves up well-rounded advice to clients in the technology, media and consumer goods arenas.
World Trademark Review 1000 2018