Sam is experienced in all forms of commercial litigation with an emphasis on antitrust/competition litigation, regulatory investigations (including cartel investigations) and public/administrative law.
She has advised clients on investigations brought by the European Commission and CMA and has had senior secondments to clients and regulators including the former OFT, and as acting GC at a global insurance broker. In addition, Sam is a core member of the firm's Tech Group and has advised multiple clients on complex data related issues, including supporting clients with cyber crisis management and incident response, ICO investigations/enforcement and systems/controls reviews following a cyber event.
Recent antirust/contentious regulatory experience includes:
- Representing EE in a high profile claim brought by the administrators for Phones4U alleging breaches of Article 101/Chapter I.
- Acting for a corporate in a Chapter II claim issued in CAT.
- Representing a bank in relation to global investigations into the foreign exchange trading market including the European Commission’s related investigation.
- Representing a bank in the European Commission’s investigations into interest rate derivatives (Euribor/Libor) and related litigation.
- a beverages wholesaler in their response to a cyber attack involving the exfiltration of personal and commercial data, including notification advice and leading a review of the client’s technical and IT governance
- a multinational insurance sector client on its response to a ransomware attack involving a significant data breach, involving the exfiltration of personal data, including issues surrounding demand for crypto-currency ransom
- a global business process management, data management and consulting services business respond to a large scale ransomware attack by an unauthorised third party, which compromised their internal systems and resulted in the encryption and exfiltration of a significant volume of potential personal data.
- a European subsidiary of an investment bank on the steps to take following a cyber incident whereby the email accounts of various employees had been accessed by an unauthorised third party following a phishing attack.
- a FMCG client on all aspects of a significant personal data breach including notifications to the ICO and affected individuals, cyber insurance, ransomware issues, regulatory investigations and civil litigation.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Bristol (BA) 2000
- University of Oxford (MA) 2001
- Joined Clifford Chance 2004
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2006
- Partner since 2018
- IBA Working Group on Antitrust Litigation
Awards and citations
- Listed as a Future Leader
Who's Who Legal 2019