Philip Hertz's practice involves advising a wide range of stakeholders on general insolvency and restructuring matters.
Philip is a member of the Association of Business Recovery Professionals, INSOL, and the Insolvency Lawyers Association.
He is also a member of the Insolvency Lawyers Association Council as well as serving on its technical committee. Philip is the co-author of the chapter entitled "Schemes of Arrangement" in Tolley's Insolvency Law as well as numerous articles on insolvency related topics.
- Advising the Co-operative Bank on all aspects of the successful completion of its recent restructuring
- Advising an Ad Hoc Group of Bondholders in relation to the pre-insolvency filing and potential restructuring of Abengoa SA
- Advising APCOA in relation to the restructuring of its financial indebtedness and its two recent innovative schemes of arrangement
- Advising Second Lien Lenders to H.C.Starck in relation to the restructuring of that company’s financial indebtedness
- Advising a co-ordinating committee of senior lenders in relation to the restructuring of Autobar
Restructuring Solutions in Europe - Promoting and Embracing Change
5 April 2019
An otherwise lawful dividend can be a transaction defrauding creditors
7 February 2019
CVAs and the Struggling High Street Retailer: A New Battleground for Landlords? - 21 November 2018
21 November 2018
UK corporate insolvency reforms: looking beyond Brexit
8 October 2018
Government consults on proposals for stronger Pensions Regulator which could have significant impact on business activity
11 July 2018
Career and qualifications
- University College, London (LLB) 1989
- Downing College Cambridge (LLM) 1991
- Joined Clifford Chance as a trainee solicitor 1991
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1993
- Partner since 2002
- Member of the International Association of Insurance Receivers, Insolvency Lawyers Association and R3
Awards and citations
- Philip Hertz is held in high esteem by the market, with interviewees describing him as a "sharp strategic thinker" and "commercial, calm and proactive". He has recently led numerous market-leading mandates.
Chambers UK 2017 – Restructuring and Insolvency (Band 1)
- Ranked in Band 1
Chambers UK 2017 – Restructuring and Insolvency – Ranked Lawyers
- Ranked as a Leading Lawyer
Legal 500 UK 2017: Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency (Tier 1)