Philip Hertz's practice involves advising a wide range of stakeholders on general insolvency and restructuring matters.
Philip is a member of the Association of Business Recovery Professionals, INSOL, and the Insolvency Lawyers Association.
He is also a member of the Insolvency Lawyers Association Council as well as serving on its technical committee. Philip is the co-author of the chapter entitled "Schemes of Arrangement" in Tolley's Insolvency Law as well as numerous articles on insolvency related topics.
- Advising the Co-operative Bank on all aspects of the successful completion of its recent restructuring
- Advising an Ad Hoc Group of Bondholders in relation to the pre-insolvency filing and potential restructuring of Abengoa SA
- Advising APCOA in relation to the restructuring of its financial indebtedness and its two recent innovative schemes of arrangement
- Advising Second Lien Lenders to H.C.Starck in relation to the restructuring of that company’s financial indebtedness
- Advising a co-ordinating committee of senior lenders in relation to the restructuring of Autobar
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University College, London (LLB) 1989
- Downing College Cambridge (LLM) 1991
- Joined Clifford Chance as a trainee solicitor 1991
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1993
- Partner since 2002
- Member of the International Association of Insurance Receivers, Insolvency Lawyers Association and R3
Awards and citations
- Philip Hertz is held in high esteem by the market, with interviewees describing him as a "sharp strategic thinker" and "commercial, calm and proactive". He has recently led numerous market-leading mandates.
- Chambers UK 2017 – Restructuring and Insolvency (Band 1)
- Ranked in Band 1
Chambers UK 2017 – Restructuring and Insolvency – Ranked Lawyers
- Ranked as a Leading Lawyer
Legal 500 UK 2017: Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency (Tier 1)