Philip Hertz's practice involves advising a wide range of stakeholders on general insolvency and restructuring matters.
Philip is a member of the Association of Business Recovery Professionals, INSOL, and the Insolvency Lawyers Association.
He is also a member of the Insolvency Lawyers Association Council as well as serving on its technical committee. Philip is the co-author of the chapter entitled "Schemes of Arrangement" in Tolley's Insolvency Law as well as numerous articles on insolvency related topics.
- Advising the Co-operative Bank on all aspects of the successful completion of its recent restructuring
- Advising an Ad Hoc Group of Bondholders in relation to the pre-insolvency filing and potential restructuring of Abengoa SA
- Advising APCOA in relation to the restructuring of its financial indebtedness and its two recent innovative schemes of arrangement
- Advising Second Lien Lenders to H.C.Starck in relation to the restructuring of that company’s financial indebtedness
- Advising a co-ordinating committee of senior lenders in relation to the restructuring of Autobar
Clifford Chance a conseillé l'administrateur judiciaire dans le cadre de la cession de British Steel
14 November 2019
Clifford Chance advises Official Receiver on sale of British Steel
11 November 2019
Clifford Chance advises the senior creditors' coordination committee in the restructuring of the group HIME / SAUR
11 October 2013
Career and qualifications
- University College, London (LLB) 1989
- Downing College Cambridge (LLM) 1991
- Joined Clifford Chance as a trainee solicitor 1991
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1993
- Partner since 2002
- Member of the International Association of Insurance Receivers, Insolvency Lawyers Association and R3
Awards and citations
- Philip Hertz is held in high esteem by the market, with interviewees describing him as a "sharp strategic thinker" and "commercial, calm and proactive". He has recently led numerous market-leading mandates.
Chambers UK 2017 – Restructuring and Insolvency (Band 1)
- Ranked in Band 1
Chambers UK 2017 – Restructuring and Insolvency – Ranked Lawyers
- Ranked as a Leading Lawyer
Legal 500 UK 2017: Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency (Tier 1)