Michael leads the firm’s global capital markets practice and has extensive experience advising private equity sponsors, issuers and underwriters on high yield debt and leveraged finance transactions in Europe, the United States and Asia.
- the group of 14 underwriters, which included, among others, Barclays Capital Inc., BofA Securities, Inc., Citigroup Global Markets Inc., DNB Markets, Inc., ING Bank N.V., J.P. Morgan Securities LLC and Wells Fargo Securities, LLC on the issuance of US$1 billion 7.5% senior notes due 2028 and US$1 billion 8.0% senior notes due 2032 by Vår Energi ASA
- NewDay on its £264.1 million high yield bond exchange offer
- Cinven on USD 2.6bn-acquisition of Bayer Environmental Science Professional
- Mandated Lead Arrangers on a $1.2 billion refinancing for We Soda Limited
- Cinven and True Potential on bond and loan acquisition financing
- Codere group on its €1.2bn financial restructuring
- The underwriters on Vivo Energy plc’s issuance of $350 million senior notes. The Notes are rated Baa3, BB+ and BB+ by Moody's Investors Services, S&P and Fitch respectively
- EQT and portfolio company CBR Fashion Group in connection with CBR Fashion Group’s high yield bond refinancing of its term debt
- Representing ING in connection with the issuance of €125 million of 5.125% Senior Notes due 2022 by Sarens Group and a related tender offer
- Aedas Homes on it’s offering of €325 million 4% high yield green bonds. The offering was oversubscribed by more than 5 times
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Tufts University
- Fordham University School of Law
- Admitted as an Attorney 1999
- Joined Clifford Chance 2005
- Partner since 2005
- Michael has been a Member of the Board of Directors of AFME High Yield since September 2005 and served as Vice-Chairman between 2012 and 2019, he has spoken at numerous conferences and seminars and is an adjunct professor of finance.
- Michael also sits on the International Advisory Board of Tufts University and is a member of the Board of Directors of Community Dental of Maine, a non-provide oral health organisation.
Awards and citations
- 2021 IFLR Europe Awards – High Yield Deal of the Year (SYNLAB Refinancing and Debt Extension)
- "Michael is a great lawyer who has always demonstrated a very high level of understanding of both legal and regulatory issues, and also of his clients' needs and interests."
Chambers UK 2023
- Highly Regarded – IFLR1000 Global – High Yield
Leading Individual – Legal 500