Diego Ballon Ossio is one of the partners spearheading our Fintech offering out of London. His broad regulatory practice spans across the entire spectrum of non-contentious financial services regulation covering trading, custody and settlement of traditional investments and digital assets as well as strategic advice to regulatory authorities on the design and development of new regulatory frameworks.
Diego is a recognised expert in respect of regulatory policy development, particularly in the context of cryptoassets and the uses of digital ledger technology in traditional financial markets. He is often invited to participate in industry and standard setting bodies working groups including the UK Financial Markets Law Committee (FMLC) Working group on Fintech and the IRSG working group on Fintech.
He gained significant experience in financial regulation working at the UK Financial Conduct Authority (and predecessor organisation) from 2010 to 2015.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Universidad Catolica Boliviana (Law) 2004
- Admitted as Abogado Bolivia 2005
- Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster (LLM) 2006
- Financial Services Authority 2010
- Joined Clifford Chance 2015
- Admitted as a Solicitor in England & Wales 2015
- Partner since May 2023
Awards and citations
- ‘Monica Sah and Diego Ballon Ossio have outstanding expertise in UK regulations and in particular consumer lending. Their experience in advising clients with a cross border element makes them not only experts in the field but also very practical and knowledgeable about market practice. Their strength lies with their expertise which compares to no others in the market.’
- ‘Monica Sah brings in her previous in-house experience which makes her an outstanding adviser for any regulatory questions impacting private banks and their clients. Diego Ballon Ossio has extensive knowledge of the regulations and how they came about and therefore can provide a very pertinent interpretation of the rules.’
Legal 500 Fintech Rising Star since 2022
- 'Diego Ballon Ossio was able to provide a service that several other Magic Circle law firms were unable to.’
'Diego Ballon Ossio was our main point of contact and was incredible throughout.’
'Diego Ballon Ossio’s ability to provide practical and commercial advice within a sector that is notoriously difficult to navigate was a true joy to watch.’
‘Diego Ballon Ossio is an exceptional lawyer and has extensive knowledge and understanding of his subject matter from both a legal and commercial standpoint.’
‘Diego Ballon Ossio is technically very good. He understands the financial services sector very well and applies this to fintech and crypto.’
Chambers & Partners Fintech 2023 Associate to watch.
- Legal 500 Financial Services: Non-Contentious: Rising Star since 2020