Audley Sheppard QC
Audley Sheppard QC specialises in the resolution of major disputes arising out of infrastructure and energy projects, and international trade and investment. He also sits as an arbitrator.
- Successfully represented a consortium of international oil companies awarded USD$1.4 billion in a Nigerian arbitration concerning the fiscal terms of a Production Sharing Contract (ongoing)
- Successfully represented a NY based fund awarded over USD$110 million in an LCIA arbitration as compensation following the termination of a project to reduce methane gas emissions in Russia
- Successfully defended an Asian telecoms company in a SIAC arbitration concerning claims by an Indian company under a share purchase agreement
- Victoria University of Wellington, NZ (LLB) 1983 and (BCommerce) 1984
- Admitted as a barrister and solicitor in New Zealand 1985
- Cambridge University (LLM) 1986
- Joined Coward Chance 1986
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1990
- Clifford Chance Dubai 1994
- Partner since 1995
- Chairman of the LCIA Board
- Visiting Professor, School of International Arbitration, Queen Mary, London
- Advisory Board, British Institute of International and Comparative Law Investment Protection Forum
- International Advisory Board, Arbitration Ireland (2012-present)
- Joint Editor, International Bar Association's Business Law International (2010-present)
- Former NZ Member on the ICC International Court of Arbitration and Arbitration Commission (2007-2012)
- Former Co-Chair of the International Bar Association Arbitration Committee (2006-07)
- Former Rapporteur of the International Law Association Committee on International Commercial Arbitration (1996-2006)
- Audley Sheppard is recognised as an "outstanding international arbitration specialist" with a "deep level of experience".
- Sources describe Audley as "having the right mixture of intellectual grasp, combined with an ability to see through a weak argument".
- Audley is said to be a "pleasant assassin", he "kills with kind words" and has a "strong ability to simplify the complex".
- Audley is a "great advocate".
Legal 500 UK
- Audley is rated in Band 1 for International Arbitration
Chambers UK and Chambers Europe
- Audley is rated as one of the top 20 highly regarded individuals worldwide in international arbitration.
Who's Who Legal 2013
- 'The Approach of Investment Treaty Tribunals to Evidentiary Privileges' in ICSID Review, Vol. 31, No. 3 (2016), pp. 670–689
- ‘Oaths and Perjury’, in “Defining Issues in International Arbitration" (CIArb, 2016)(ed Julio Cesar Betancourt)
- ‘English Arbitration Act 1996’, in “Concise International Arbitration" (Kluwer, 2014)(ed Loukas Mistelis)
- ‘Commentary on UK Investment Treaty’, in “Commentaries on Selected Model Investment Treaties” (OUP, 2013) (with Chester Brown)
- ‘Applicable substantive law’, in “Arbitration in England” (Kluwer, 2013) (eds Julian Lew & ors)
- ‘Legal Privilege and Confidentiality in Arbitration’, in “Privilege and Confidentiality: An International Handbook” (IBA, 2012) (with Fabian von Schlabrendorff)
- 'Jivraj v Hashwani – Faith in English arbitration is restored" in Les Cahiers de l'Arbitrage, 2011, vol. 4 at 1079 (with M. Berard).
- ‘Are Stabilization Clauses a Threat to Sustainable Development?’, in "Sustainable Development in World Investment Law" (Wolters Kluwer, 2010) (with A. Crockett)
- ‘Closing Arguments’, in “The Art of Advocacy in International Arbitration" (Juris, 2010)(eds Doak Bishop and Ed Kehoe)
- ‘Arbitrator Independence in ICSID Arbitration’, in “Liber Amicorum in Honour of Christoph Schreuer “ (OUP, 2009).
- ‘Mandatory Rules in International Commercial Arbitration - an English Perspective’, in The American Review of International Arbitration (2008, vol. 18 at 121)
- “The Distinction between Lawful and Unlawful Expropriation" in C. Rebeiro (ed.)
- "Investment Arbitration and the Energy Charter Treaty" (JurisNet LLC, 2006)
- ‘International Agreements Covering Foreign Investment in Services: Patterns and Linkages’, in "Regional Trade Agreements and the WTO Legal System" (OUP, 2006) (with F. Ortino)
- ‘Res judicata and estoppel’ in "Parallel State and Arbitral Procedures in International Arbitration“ (ICC, 2005).
- ‘Report on public policy as a bar to enforcement of international arbitral awards’, in ILA Reports, in Arbitration International (2003, vol. 14, at 217).
- ‘The Jurisdictional Threshold of a Prima-facie Case’, in "International Investment Law" (OUP, 2008)
The challenge of experience: Allianz Insurance Plc and Sirius International Insurance Corporation v Tonicstar Limited  EWCA Civ 434
20 April 2018
UK nationalisation: The law and the cost
19 March 2018
European Court of Justice rules on investor-State arbitration under an intra-EU BIT
9 March 2018
TPP11: Modified Approach To Investment Agreements, Investment Authorisations And Claims Regarding Financial Services
23 February 2018
Three's a crowd? Third-party arbitration funding
1 December 2017
European Commission presses for progress on Multilateral Investment Court
22 September 2017
Brexit - Citizens' Rights, Dispute Resolution and the CJEU
11 September 2017
What does the Singapore FTA decision mean for the EU'S FTAs and Brexit?
19 May 2017
ICSID Tribunal issues gag order to stop parties turning arbitration into 'trial by media'
14 June 2016
Reflections from the International Arbitration Group
25 April 2016
ICSID Tribunal orders Albania to stay criminal and extradition proceedings
21 March 2016
An Expert Horror Story: Van Oord UK Limited and SICIM Roadbridge Limited v Allseas UK Limited  EWHC 3074 (TCC)
2 December 2015
Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP): Final text released
6 November 2015
The TPP of the Iceberg - TPP Signals New Approach to Trade Liberalisation
16 October 2015
Dispute Resolution in Angola - Arbitration in Focus
17 February 2015