Eric Davoudet specialises in tax aspects of property investments, REITs, OPCIs and real estate investments funds.
Eric also specialises in taxation of M&A transactions, LBO, group reorganisations and financial transactions.
He is also involved in sectors such as consumer goods & retail, energy & resources, private equity and sovereign wealth.
Clifford Chance a conseillé Covivio dans le cadre de l'acquisition d'une participation de 32% dans un portefeuille de 32 hôtels Accor en France et en Belgique
10 July 2019
Clifford Chance advises La Française on the formation of an investment vehicle dedicated to Grand Paris development projects
20 February 2019
Clifford Chance a conseillé GIC dans le cadre de l'acquisition de la Tour Ariane
18 October 2018
Clifford Chance conseille Albelli sur l'acquisition de monAlbumPhoto
3 July 2018
Clifford Chance advises Albelli on the acquisition of monAlbumPhoto
3 July 2018
- Eric contributes to various French and international publications
Failure to prevent the facilitation of tax evasion: The new extra-territorial UK criminal offence and its impact on European financial institutions
26 June 2017
Withholding Tax Revolution? The Effect of the BEPS Multilateral Convention on Cross-Border Debt and Equity Investments
8 June 2017
Visites inopinées : comment appréhender les visites réglementaires
16 May 2017
The tax impact of Brexit: what steps should UK and EU businesses take now?
24 June 2016
The EU FTT – what is the effect of Estonia's exit?
17 December 2015
Career and qualifications
- University of Paris II (Masters in Business and Tax Law) 1984
- University of Paris II (DESS in Personnel Management) 1986
- University of Burgundy (D.E.S.S. Taxation) 1987
- Ernst & Young tax lawyer 1987
- Joined Clifford Chance 1990
- Qualified as Conseil Juridique 1991
- Admitted as an avocat in Paris 1991
- Partner since 1996
Awards and citations
- "Clifford Chance’s ‘excellent’ eight-lawyer team stands out for its ‘high professionalism and availability’. The practice recently advised on high-profile infrastructure M&A transactions through its assistance to Engie with the $2bn sale of its upstream LNG business to Total. It also acted alongside PAI Partners on the €1.15bn LBO on Asmodée. The team also stands out for its ‘strong experience and knowledge of the real estate industry’ where it shows ‘great ability to execute a transaction and anticipate solutions’. It was recently involved in some of the market’s largest investment transactions and handled a number of matters for Primonial, which it notably assisted with its 50% equity investment in a German healthcare asset portfolio owned by Medical Properties Trust. The team is also a leading reference for pan-European real estate fund structuring and assisted Ardian France with the creation of its first real estate fund. Rexel, Axel Springer, Altarea Cogedim and AEW Ciloger are also clients. Co-heads Eric Davoudet and Alexandre Lagarrigue, who ‘combines technical proficiency, imagination and very good judgement’, rank among the best in their fields and counsel Jitka Susankova is also noted."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Tax, 2019
- Eric Davoudet boasts expertise in a range of tax matters including advising clients on the tax aspects of real estate and M&A transactions. He recently acted for The Carlyle Group on the sale of the O2 building in Asnières-sur-Seine. One client praises his "very high-quality advice," adding: "He is very precise and has a very good understanding of our sector."
Chambers Europe, France, Tax, 2019
Chambers Europe, France, Tax: Real Estate - France, 2019
- "Clifford Chance’s broad practice includes the formation of funds under French and Luxembourgian law as well as the creation of pan-European investment funds. The team has experience in assisting with LBO funds, mezzanine funds and primary and secondary debt funds, but also covers venture capital funds and infrastructure funds. Xavier Comaills heads the group, which also includes real estate investment fund specialist Eric Davoudet. The team has a core focus on upper-mid and large-cap operations. Recent highlights include acting for Natixis Asset Management Subsidiary Mirova on the creation of and fundraising for its Mirova Core Infrastructure Fund II with a target value of €1bn and advising Sofinnova Partners on the creation of a new fund in industrial biotechnology. Other work includes assisting Montefiore Investment with the creation of a mid-market LBO fund focusing on European service companies, and advising Cathay Capital on the restructuring of an innovation fund. The team also acted for Cathay Capital on a rare €270m small-cap fund creation and fundraising matter. In the debt fund space, it advised Groupe Bruxelles Lambert on the structuring of and fundraising for a secondary debt fund with a target value of €850m and assisted Tikehau Investment Management with the formation of and fundraising for pan-European private debt fund Tikehau Direct Lending III. Other clients include Kartesia Advisors and Parquest Capital."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Private Equity: Fund Formation, 2018
- "Clifford Chance’s 13-lawyer team combines top M&A, property and fund structuring tax expertise and advises many leading French and international financial institutions, investment funds and corporations. Highlights included advising CACEIS on the restructuring of its European activities, GE Capital on the sale of GE Money Bank, Ardian France on the structuring of its first real estate fund, and Carlyle Group on the sale of the future Grand Central building in Paris. The practice also handles sensitive litigation and tax investigations. Eric Davoudet and Alexandre Lagarrigue are strong advisers. Counsels Jitka Susankova and Britta Hardeck are other names to note."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Tax, 2018
- "The 'excellent' Eric Davoudet focuses his practice on the tax aspects of real estate transactions, including acquisitions, financings and real estate fund structuring. He has further expertise in the taxation of M&A transactions, as well as in tax litigation proceedings."
Chambers Europe, France, Tax, 2018
- "Clifford Chance provides ‘good responsiveness and accurate analysis’. The ten-lawyer team has strong M&A, LBO and property tax expertise, including knowledge of property funds. Highlights included advising GE on the sale of GE Money Bank and acting for Asian investors on the acquisition of Sofitel Le Faubourg hotel in Paris. The practice also handles tax litigation. Alexandre Lagarrigue is recommended along with the ‘adaptable and responsive’ Eric Davoudet."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Tax, 2017
- "Clifford Chance has strong experience of advising leading investment funds on the structuring and fundraising of a wide range of funds, including private equity and private debt funds. The practice assisted Montefiore with the creation of a fourth LBO fund and acted for Bpifrance Investissement on the creation of a fund to invest in French funds which focus on distressed investments. Xavier Comaills is a market-leading figure. Counsel Tiana Rambatomanga is a rising star and tax experts Alexandre Lagarrigue and Eric Davoudet are other names to note."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Fund Formation, 2017
- Eric Davoudet has a wealth of expertise in tax-related M&A issues and structured finance transactions. He has further skills in the area of real estate and all associated tax issues. He is praised for his good understanding of matters, as well as his reactivity.
Chambers Europe, France, Tax, 2017
- Eric Davoudet is highly esteemed for his ability to advise on the tax issues arising in M&A and structured finance transactions. He also has a wealth of experience assisting clients with real estate matters. He is described by market sources as a "problem solver, very experienced and pragmatic." One impressed client effuses: "He's very good from a pure technical standpoint and he's well informed about the context in which we are working."
Chambers Europe, France, Tax, 2016
- "Clifford Chance provides ‘a very high level of expertise and efficiency’. The 13-lawyer team is especially strong in the M&A and property fields. It assisted Airbus with the creation of the Airbus Safran Launchers joint venture. The practice is also active in taxation relating to the banking and financial services sector, and also handles litigation. Large corporations and investment funds are clients. Practice head Eric Davoudet has ‘very good technical skills’ and ‘a great strategic vision’. Alexandre Lagarrigue and Anne Lemercier are also recommended".
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Tax, 2016
- Practice head Eric Davoudet advises on the tax aspects of M&A, LBOs, restructuring and financial transactions.
Chambers Global, France, Tax, 2015
- Eric Davoudet's areas of expertise include real estate transactions, M&A and LBOs. "He's very pragmatic and identifies and analyses the risks of what we're working on, evaluates them, and then finds a way to overcome them," notes a source.
Chambers Europe, Tax / Real Estate, 2014
- Clifford Chance’s 11-lawyer team has a leading transactional practice and recently advised a consortium on the acquisition of TIGF from Total. Property tax is also a strong area of expertise, where the firm represents clients such as Apollo Real Estate and AEW Europe. The firm also handles tax litigation and advises investment funds. Practice head Eric Davoudet ranks among ‘the top experts for transactional tax matters’. Alexandre Lagarrigue is also recommended.
Legal 500, Tax, 2014
- "Clifford Chance’s advice is of the highest quality". The 14-lawyer practice is headed by Eric Davoudet, a "very technical’ partner who can "convert complex issues into simple and practical recommendations".
Legal 500, Tax, 2013
- "Eric Davoudet is regarded as top class for his work in real estate matters. He is also considerably experienced in taxation relating to M&A transactions, LBOs and group reorganisations".
Chambers Global, Tax, France, 2013
- "Practice area leader Eric Davoudet recently led the team advising The Carlyle Group on its EUR485 million acquisition of the B&B hotel group from Eurazeo, including tax due diligence and tax structuring".
Chambers Global, Tax, 2012