Ignacio Diaz started his career as a litigator having previously been an equity analyst. Since then Ignacio has focused in complex disputes before the Spanish Courts and international arbitration (ICC, ICSID, UNCITRAL) as well as domestic arbitration before Spanish institutions (CIMA, CAM).
Ignacio specializes in investment disputes, contractual disputes (engineering projects, Oil and Gas and companies’ S&P), auditors liability, civil liability (product liability, D&O and tort), corporate litigation, unfair competition and anti-trust litigation.
- Advising Steag GmbH in its ICSID claim under the ECT against the Kingdom of Spain.
- Advising Airina, a Spanish multinational food holding company in legal proceedings against the public land management company of the Community of Madrid in relation to the sale of several rustic lands for urban development in exchange for receiving urbanized land.
- Advising a Dutch oil&gas multinational in CAM arbitration proceedings with regard to a long term gas supply contract.
- Advising a French financial institution in an ICC arbitration with regard to the valuation of a put option for the acquisition of a 40 % stake in another financial entity.
Career and qualifications
- Universidad Pontificia Comillas (BA Law) 2002
- Universidad Pontificia Comillas (BA Business Administration) 2003
- Admitted as abogado in Spain 2003
- Associate at Garrigues 2003
- Joined Clifford Chance 2008
- Partner since 2019
- Member of the Madrid Bar Association
- Member of the Spanish Arbitration Club Under 40 (CEA -40)
Awards and citations
- Associate to watch: "Ignacio Díaz offers expertise in both commercial and investment treaty arbitration. He is active in the energy, telecoms and retail sectors"
Chambers Europe Guide 2019
- Next generation lawyer: "Key names include (…) the ‘well-prepared and hardworking’ Ignacio Diaz."
The Legal500 2019