Ying White heads Clifford Chance's Funds and Investment Management Group in China.
Ying has advised many Chinese financial institutions and corporations on the structuring, establishment and operations of their offshore private equity funds and hedge funds, including State Development and Investment Corporation, China Life, CDB Capital, Taikang Insurance, PingAn Life, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, China International Capital Corporation, HOPU Investment, and China Minsheng Investment.
In addition, Ying advises global fund managers and foreign investors on their China market access (e.g. QFII, QFLP, QDII, QDLP), structuring onshore RMB fund platforms and capital raising from onshore investors.
Ying was a legal counsel at the World Bank in Washington DC for seven years before relocating back to China where she headed a U.S. law firm's China funds practice for five years.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Peking University (BA) 1992
- Stetson University (JD, magna cum laude) 1997
- Columbia University School of Law (LLM, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar) 1998
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in the District of Columbia 1998
- Counsel, Finance, Legal Vice Presidency, The World Bank, Washington DC 1999-2007
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2012
- Legal Advisor to International Partners Committee of Asset Management Association of China (AMAC)
- Expert on the Experts Panel of Shanghai QDLP Pilot Program
- Formerly Advisor to the Beijing Private Equity Association
- Formerly Advisor to China Association of Private Equity
- Member of the Asia Pacific Chapter of 100 Women in Hedge Funds
Awards and citations
- Band 3: Investment Funds (International Firms) – China
Chambers Asia Pacific 2019 & 2020
- Leading Individual for Investment Funds: Foreign Firms in China
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019 & 2020
- Highly Regarded for Investment Funds in China
FLR 1000 2019 & 2020
- Ying is listed as a Leading Individual for Investment Funds in China.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2018
- She was also recognised as one of the Leading Lawyers in China by Asialaw Profiles and a Leading Women in China PE/VC by China Venture magazine
- Named as a Leading Individual for Investment Funds in China
Chambers Asia Pacific 2017
- Ying is especially active on private fund formations. She handles hedge, private equity and real estate mandates and also advises on QDLP-related issues. Sources say she provides 'practical advice on how to navigate complicated regulations, and praise her for being "very responsive and very hands-on."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2016