Ling Ho has spent over 30 years advising clients on intellectual property related matters in the Greater China region. Her expertise covers the full spread of contentious and non-contentious IP issues. She is the head of the Hong Kong Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice and is a core member of the firm's global Tech Group with particular focus on IP, cyber, tech disputes and risk management.
Ling has extensive trial, deal and strategic counselling experience, and has acted in leading cases in the fields of trademarks, patents, copyright, designs to confidential information.
Ling is regularly involved in negotiating and drafting brand usage, technology transfer and other IP related collaboration agreements for clients investing into Asia markets.
Ling's practice also spans arbitration, commercial litigation, cyber, data privacy, defamation as well as product liability claims. Her clients range from multinational corporations and government agencies to leading businesses and individuals in the region, across a broad spectrum of industries including healthcare, technology, media, consumer goods and retail, financial services and leisure.
- Assisting an nutrition company in an appeal to the PRC Supreme People's Court (SPC) on trademark infringement and unfair competition actions against a Chinese entity. We have advised the company (and its parent company) on a range of litigation and advisory matters in Hong Kong and mainland China in relation to this matter;
- Advising a multinational bank for its new virtual bank venture in Hong Kong on the holistic branding strategy and on cross trademark oppositions and potential trademark dispute;
- Acting for a start-up subsidiary of an international insurance company in the development of an online platform for direct to consumer term life products with insurance companies in Hong Kong and China. This includes advising on setting up the company, consulting on arrangements with third party data providers, development agreements and commercial contracts; and
- Advised a financial sector multinational on its ground-breaking joint venture with a Chinese technology company to provide regulated advisory services in China. This included advising on structuring, corporate and governance matters relating to the set-up and ongoing management of the joint venture, as well as intellectual property, technology and data-driven aspects of the parties' collaboration in operating the service.
News and client work
- Clifford Chance, Hong Kong
- Email me
- Speaks English, Cantonese and Dutch
- Practice area Intellectual property, Litigation, dispute resolution & risk management
- Sector Healthcare, life sciences & chemicals, Telecommunications, media & technology
2023 Predictions on Digital Assets Risks and Disputes from Ling Ho
Ling Ho, Partner, predicts a rise in disputes and litigations in the digital assets space as a new regulatory framework emerges in 2023.
Career and qualifications
- University of Birmingham (LLB) 1988
- College of Law, Lancaster Gate, London (Law Finals)
- Qualified as Associate with IP department of Denton Hall 1991
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 1991
- Kao, Lee and Yip 1993-1994
- Joined Clifford Chance 1994
- Partner since 2005
- Head of Asia Intellectual Property Group since 1998 and China Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice since 2008
Awards and citations
- Ling Ho is listed as a 'notable' arbitration practitioner within Asia Pacific.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020, Asia Pacific: Regional International Arbitration
- "Ling Ho (the partner), Yi Yang (the counsel) and Ernest Shen (the associate) together as a team has delivered high-quality IP services relying on its proficiency in cross-jurisdiction IP-intensive transactions and deep insights into business context. The foregoing attributes make this team remarkable compared with other competitors."
Ling is listed as a Leading Individual for Intellectual Property, Hong Kong.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020, Intellectual Property – Hong Kong / Intellectual Property: foreign firms – China
- Ling Ho has over two decades of experience in handling disputes and non-contentious IP matters spanning portfolio management and issues arising from corporate transactions. "Ling Ho impressed me deeply with her sharp insights into IP values and potential risks in the context of transactions," enthuses one client, while another reports: "Her risk assessment is sensible, and she's commercial.“
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020, Intellectual Property (International Firms) – China
- Team head Ling Ho leverages her general litigation expertise to provide a strong service to clients on enforcement matters and is regularly involved in non-contentious matters, including her representation of New World on the management of its trade mark portfolio in Hong Kong and China.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019, Intellectual Property – Hong Kong
- Ling Ho, who has intellectual property experience, is ‘particularly good, based on her rich experiences and insights in to what clients require’
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018, Intellectual Property – Hong Kong
- One peer says that she is "a well-known IP partner. She's been around for years, and does a good job."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2018, Intellectual Property (International Firms) – China