Michael Van Arsdall is a counsel in the firm's Antitrust Group. Michael's practice involves antitrust counseling on a wide variety of subjects, with particular focus on transactional antitrust matters such as mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures. He has guided numerous transactions through the U.S. and foreign antitrust/competition review process.
Michael has experience in some of the largest and most significant transactions in aerospace, telecommunications, and online advertising industries. In addition, Michael works with trade associations on a number of issues, including information exchange programs, standards setting, and membership issues. Michael also regularly advises clients in connection with civil non-merger investigations.
Michael has represented clients before the U.S. Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, the European Commission, the Federal Communications Commission, the Department of Defense, and many state attorneys general.
Michael also works extensively and has lectured in the field of e-discovery. He counsels clients on best practices in the areas of document retention, collection, discovery, and production. Michael has experience with the latest software solutions, technology assisted review (TAR), and developments in this exploding field. Michael has handled all facets of complying with some of the largest second requests at both the DOJ and FTC.
- United Technologies’ $30 billion acquisition of Rockwell Collins
- AT&T's $85 billion acquisition of Time Warner, Inc., and its $67 billion acquisition of DirecTV
- Humana’s proposed $37 billion merger with Aetna
- Alcoa's $2.85 billion acquisition of Firth Rixson and the $1.5 billion acquisition of RTI International Metals
News and client work
- Law and Practice, Chambers and Partners Antitrust Litigation 2020 Guide
September 17, 2020
- DOJ Task Force To Investigate Antitrust Crimes in Government Procurement, Pratt's Government Contracting Law Report, Volume 6 Issue 3 (March 2020)
- Antitrust Litigation: Law and Practice in the US, Chambers Global Practice Guide Antitrust Litigation 2019
- Clifford Chance, Washington D.C.
- Email me
- Follow me on LinkedIn
- Speaks English and French
- Practice area Antitrust, EU & trade
Career and qualifications
- University of Rhode Island, 1992, Political Science and French, B.A.
- Catholic University School of Law, 1999, J.D.
- Admitted as an attorney-at-law, U.S. Fourth Circuit of Appeals
- Admitted as an attorney-at-law in Virginia in 2000
- Admitted as an attorney-at-law in Washington, D.C. in 2001