Andrés Berry has experience in a variety of cross-border banking & finance and capital markets transactions with a focus on Latin America.
Andrés's banking and finance experience includes representing domestic and international financial institutions in project finance and other asset-backed financing transactions. He also has experience in capital markets transactions representing financial institutions acting as initial purchasers in 144A and Reg S offerings.
- A Peruvian asset manager acting as arranger for its note purchaser funds in a multi-closing 4(a)(2) private placement by a Jersey holding company with assets consisting of Latin American operating companies engaged in specialty glass manufacturing. The secured PIK financing is for working capital purposes and was structured to coexist with outstanding debt-like preferred shares and pari passu debt of the holding company, as well as senior debt of the operating companies that is guaranteed by the holding company, through the amendment of organizational documents and shareholders agreement of the holding company as well as through subordination and intercreditor agreements
- Goldman Sachs in the hybrid financing for the Rutas 2 y 7 toll road project, the first toll road to be awarded under the PPP scheme in Paraguay, which included a Rule 144A/Reg S securitization of government receivables combined with a letter of credit facility and a project financing
- JPMorgan and Scotiabank (i) as joint bookrunners, lead arrangers and lenders, on the US$80 million bridge financing transaction and (ii) as initial purchasers on the US$186 million notes reopening transaction by TermoCandelaria Power Limited to convert its TECAN power plant located in Cartagena, from a Bryton-cycle power plant to a combined cycle power plant
- A consortium led by China Harbour Engineering Company Limited (CHEC), SP Ingenieros SAS, Unidad de Infraestructura y Construcciones Asociadas SAS and Termotécnica Coindustrial SAS in the approximately US$658 million multi-tranche, multi-currency, term loan financing for the Mar 2 toll road project in Colombia. The transaction was comprised of a combination of USD and COP commercial bank loans and interest rate and currency hedges
- Citibank as remarketing agent on two two-stage restructurings of approximately US$680 million in commercial obligations of La Empresa de Hidrocarburos Petroamazonas EP through the issuance of short-term Notes guaranteed by the Republic of Ecuador and their subsequent remarketing under Rule 144A and Reg S
- CAF, Proparco and BIO in a US$75 million on-lending facility for Banco Guayaquil in Ecuador to finance the expansion and energy efficiency of small and medium-sized businesses
- Goldman Sachs International in connection with the Republic of Ecuador's issuance of US$378 million of the 10.750% Notes due 2022, US$187 million of the Republic's 8.750% Notes due 2023, and US$41 million of the Republic's 9.650% Notes due 2026 as part of an English-law governed swap transaction between GSI and the Central Bank of Ecuador
- JP Morgan, UBS, Credit Suisse as initial purchasers on the Republic of Ecuador’s US$2.5 billion and US$3 billion sovereign debt offerings
- Several entities of the CMI Alimentos conglomerate in the financing by IDB Invest of a multi-draw working capital facility
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- New York University (BA, Political Science) 2008
- New York University School of Law (JD) 2015
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 2016
- Joined Clifford Chance 2017
Awards and citations
- Hugo Triaca and Andrés Berry are both very committed. They will do everything within their power to ensure the best results possible.
Legal 500, 2022 – United States: Finance Capital markets: global offerings – advice to issuers – Tier 3 Capital markets: global offerings – advice to underwriters – Tier 3