Rob Donell has extensive experience advising on cross-border and domestic commercial real estate transactions, spanning direct and indirect investments, joint ventures, financings, developments, lettings and sale & leasebacks.
Rob has advised across all real estate asset classes and has a broad client base, including international investors, lenders, corporate occupiers, developers and funds.
- e-shelter on the £500 million data centre development in the UK which will compromise 600,000 sq ft subject to planning
- Blackstone on the share acquisition of a majority stake in temporary workspace business, The Office Group, in a deal valuing the business at circa £500 million. The acquisition is aimed at fuelling expansion plans for The Office Group (TOG), which was founded in 2003. It currently has a portfolio of 36 buildings, focused in central London, which offer flexible workspace to established businesses as well as start-ups, entrepreneurs and freelancers
- Employees Provident Fund of Malaysia on the UK law aspects of the formation of a joint venture with Permodalan Nasional Berhad, which has forward purchased and will fund the development of Phase 2 of the landmark Battersea Power Station redevelopment in London
- China Construction Bank (London) Limited, a subsidiary of one of China’s and indeed the world’s largest banking groups, on its acquisition of a new headquarters at 111 Old Broad Street, EC2 from KBC Bank NV for approximately £111 million. The bank has acquired the freehold interest of the building, which comprises approximately 123,000 sq ft over eight floors
News and client work
- RealTime: James Dearsley and the evolution of PropTech
Career and qualifications
- University of York (BA) 2010
- College of Law Bloomsbury (GDL) 2011
- College of Law Moorgate (LPC) 2012
- Joined Clifford Chance in 2012
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2014
- Seconded to Morgan Stanley 2018
Awards and citations
- “The standout partner is Mark Payne together with associate, Rob Donell… Rob provides excellent client service and is exceptional at transaction management”.
Legal 500 UK 2020
- Rob Donell has been shortlisted as Junior Lawyer of the Year by The Law Society Excellence Awards 2019