Charlotte Chopping specialises in advising on financial services regulation. She has extensive experience of advising on the implementation of new regulation, day-to-day regulatory compliance, regulatory investigations and reorganisations.
Charlotte has a particular focus on cross-border M&A and has advised clients on acquisitions and disposals in a vast array of regulated financial services sectors, including the retail, private and commercial banking sectors, broking, asset management, payments, consumer credit and insurance sectors.
Charlotte also has a particular focus on asset management regulation. She advises asset managers on regulatory matters across the full fund life-cycle, including the establishment of new managers, the establishment of regulated and unregulated funds, cross-border fund marketing, ongoing regulatory compliance, investments, disposals and wind-downs.
Charlotte regularly advises on sustainability, ESG, culture and conduct matters in the financial services sector, including the SFDR, SDR and TCFD-aligned reporting regimes.
- Assisting clients with the formation of UK regulated entities, including applications for regulatory authorisation and the construction of legal and compliance infrastructure.
- Advising on the structuring of asset management and distribution models and on the manufacturing and global marketing of a range of fund types.
- Advising on the implementation of financial services regulation including the SFDR, SDR, SMCR, MiFID II, PRIIPs, MAR, the MCD, EMIR, CRD IV, the AIFMD, the ELTIF Regulation and the UCITS Directive.
- Providing regulatory training to financial services firms' boards, in-house legal and compliance teams and new joiners.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Oxford (Jurisprudence) 2010
- BPP Law School (Master of Laws in Practical Legal Practice) 2014
- Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales 2014
- Joined Clifford Chance 2018