Sonia Trendafilova specialises in white-collar crime, investigations and risk management - advising in particular on financial crime, compliance failings, internal investigations, contentious regulatory matters and cyber security.
Sonia advises both domestic and international companies on criminal and regulatory enforcement matters, including the prevention of money laundering, EU sanctions, anti-bribery policies and on compliance programs. Recently, she has been particularly focused on participating in cross-border investigations and ABC/FCPA due diligence processes, in collaboration with different jurisdictions.
Sonia has vast experience in defending and advising corporations in criminal proceedings and on the effectiveness of compliance programs, negotiating agreements (DPAs or NPAs) and pleas with the Public Prosecutor’s Office.
- Representing two subsidiaries of a Vietnamese technology multinational company and several members of the board in a criminal investigation for a number of corporate offences.
- Advising the executives of a real estate investment fund in a criminal investigation involving claims brought by bellicose partners in relation to allegations of fraud and improper management.
- Conducting an internal investigation for an international aerospace group in coordination with US and other European CC teams related to specific allegations of bribery and corruption in a number of countries, where both the US Department of Justice (DOJ) and European regulators are involved, within the context of a DPA with the DOJ.
- Conducting a major Government- led AML investigation stemming from allegations that customers of a bank´s baltic subsidiaries had facilitated money laundering.
- Advising an American company in the aviation sector on the internal investigation carried out in several jurisdictions (third-party compliance) regarding the monitoring of suppliers and corruption prevention according to the FCPA.
- Conducting an internal investigation for a multinational client into allegations of human rights abuses.
- Advising a Spanish bank in AML investigation related to a facility loan in Ghana, with implications in UK, Germany and Spain.
- Advising an American multinational specialising in the design, development, manufacture and commercialisation of sports equipment on the design and implementation of a compliance program in line with Spanish regulations, in the context of Europewide advice.
- Advising the Spanish subsidiary of an American financial advisory and asset management firm on adapting its global compliance program to meet Spanish regulatory requirements.
- Advising an American investment bank on the implementation of a Spanish criminal compliance program, as well as adapting its global compliance program to the local regulation requirements.
- Advising a major Spanish financial institution on the implementation and update on cyber security policies, including cyber crisis management and response plan.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid (LL.B) 2012
- Admitted as abogado in Spain 2012
- Associate at Simmons & Simmons (L&DR) 2012
- Joined Clifford Chance 2016
- IE Law School (Executive Compliance Programme) 2017
- Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Expert Degree in White-Collar Crime and Corporate Crime) 2018
- Member of the Madrid Bar Association