Luciano Di Via is the Head of the Italian Antitrust Practice and is considered one of the primary experts in antitrust in Italy.
Luciano splits his time between Rome and Brussels and has more than 20 years' experience specialising in all aspects of EU and Italian antitrust law, including merger control, cartels, abuse of market power and market investigations/sector inquires. Luciano works across a wide range of sectors, including food and beverage, retail, insurance, energy and telecommunications. Luciano is also Co-Chair of the ICC Task Force on Cartels and Leniency.
Before joining Clifford Chance in 2013, Luciano spent 10 years at the Italian Competition Authority — two of which he was the ICA’s seconded national expert at the European Commission's Directorate General of Competition. During his time with the ICA, amongst other activities, he led teams conducting dawn raids at company premises.
Clifford Chance advises Sazka Group and Italian Gaming Holding in a consortium bid for Italy's national lottery business
16 May 2016
Clifford Chance advises Shell on the sale of its Retail, Supply & Distribution, Logistics and Aviation businesses in Italy to Kuwait Petroleum International
20 February 2014
Global M&A Toolkit
- Luciano comments on the general level of fines for cartels in 2014 and the main sectors targeted by the European Commission (April 2015)
Personal data protection – Recent developments in Italy
16 January 2019
Protezione dei dati personali: Le recenti evoluzioni normative, attuative ed interpretative
16 January 2019
Infrastructure: 21st Century Challenges - A legal perspective
29 October 2018
La nuova compliance antitrust e il modello ex d.lgs. n. 231/2001: quali interazioni?
19 October 2018
The new antitrust compliance and the systems and controls pursuant to Legislative Decree 231/2001: what are the points of contact?
19 October 2018
Career and qualifications
- LUISS University, Rome (LL.D) 1989
- Civil Servant at the Italian Competition Authority 1991
- Admitted as an avvocato in Italy 1992
- Senior Associate, Bonelli Erede Pappalardo 2001
- Partner, Bonelli Erede Pappalardo 2003
- Admitted as a cassazionista (Supreme Court lawyer) 2013
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner and Head of Italian Antitrust Practice 2013
- Speaks Italian, English and French
- Co-Chair of the ICC Task Force on Cartels and Leniency
- Cassazionista - supreme court lawyer admitted to practice before the highest courts of Italy (2013)
Awards and citations
- #2 Competition/EU Law
Chambers Europe 2018
- Sources find him to be a lawyer "who acts with calm confidence" and further report, "he is authoritative, able to help with strategy and very thorough."
Chambers Europe 2018: Competition/EU Law – Italy
- Leading Individual in EU & Competition Law
Legal 500 2017
- "Seasoned antitrust practitioner" Luciano Di Via heads the competition team at Clifford Chance. He is highlighted by clients as "a good legal and business partner and very available and willing to work on urgent matters."
Chambers Europe 2017: Competition/EU Law – Italy
- "Among the best firms for competition advice", Clifford Chance’s "extremely good" team tackles antitrust matters from all angles. Practice head Luciano Di Via "masters complex situations, even under time constraints".
Legal 500 2017: EU and Competition – Italy
- Luciano Di Via's "business acumen and great skills" make him "one of the leading competition experts in Italy".
Legal 500 2016: EU and Competition – Italy