Viola Lui is a Partner in the Hong Kong office and a member of the APAC Private Funds Group.
Viola specialises on the formation of private closed-ended and open-ended investment funds (including private equity funds, real estate funds and hedge funds) set up either offshore or in the form of HK LPFs and HK OFCs.
Viola is a member of AIMA Hong Kong's Regulatory Committee, a member of the Technical Committee of the HKVCA, a core member of the PWMA Advisory Council and a committee member of the Professional Standards Committee of ANREV. She is also one of the key partners of Clifford Chance's APAC ESG Group and is very active in advising on ESG related matters relating to the funds and investment management industry. In addition, Viola is a Steering Committee member of Accelerate>>> Hong Kong, the Firm's gender parity group.
- General Electric on the establishment of a joint venture energy infrastructure investment platform with the Silk Road Fund
- DVB Bank and Fontainburg on the establishment of joint venture and offshore private equity fund which focuses on the aviation sector
- Aspex on the establishment of the Aspex Global Fund
- Hel Ved on the establishment of the Hel Ved Fund
- Barclays on the regulatory aspects of the disposal of its private banking business in Asia
- DBS on the regulatory aspects of the acquisition of the private banking business from Société Générale
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Toronto (Juris Doctor) 2004
- Joined Clifford Chance 2005
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 2007
- Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales 2010
- Partner since 2020
Awards and citations
- Rising Star Partner
IFLR1000 – Hong Kong Investment Funds – 2023
- Recommended lawyer by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019: Hong Kong – Investment Funds