Michael Wang has experience in a broad range of commercial contentious work, with a particular focus on banking litigation and contentious regulatory matters, including cross-border and Greater China issues.
Michael regularly advises banks, investment funds, brokerage firms and listed companies in a wide range of regulatory and compliance issues including anti-money laundering, insider dealing, market manipulation, electronic trading, operation of alternative liquidity pool, position limits reporting, facilitation trading, financial resources rules and listing rules compliance. He also has rich experience acting for financial institutions and commercial parties in large-scale, cross-border litigation and arbitrations, including mis-selling of accumulators and other financial products, shareholder disputes, contentious derivative close-outs, and market misconduct issues.
- Advising a major US financial institution in relation to an extensive and high-profile investigation across 12 jurisdictions in Asia, US and UK into its client facilitation trading business, covering a wide range of issues including individual misconduct, policies and procedures, internal controls, management supervision, regulatory engagement, whistle-blowing legislation, data privacy issues and wrongful termination claims.
- Advising major financial institutions in all aspects of alleged mis-selling of investment products (including equity and FX accumulators and investment-linked insurance products), covering customer complaints, regulatory investigations and civil claims.
- Acting for the plaintiff (a member of a well-known family in Hong Kong) in Hong Kong High Court and Court of Appeal proceedings involving a major Hong Kong property developer in relation to disputes over HK$ 20 billion worth of assets located in Hong Kong and overseas.
- Acting for a former executive director of CITIC Limited in High Court and Market Misconduct Tribunal proceedings in defending SFC’s claim for breach of sections 277 and 291 of the SFO, with alleged damages of over HK$ 1.9 billion.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Hong Kong (LLB) 2009
- University of Hong Kong (PCLL) 2010
- Hogan Lovells, Hong Kong 2010
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 2012
- Joined Clifford Chance Hong Kong 2014
- Partner since May 2022
- Law Society of Hong Kong
Awards and citations
- Rising Star Partner
IFLR 1000 – Hong Kong Financial Services Regulatory – 2023