Steve Nickelsburg has broad experience in internal investigations, government enforcement matters, and complex civil litigation. He represents and advises corporate clients, sovereign and multilateral institutions, and individuals in cases with cross-border implications, including anticorruption, economic sanctions, anti-money laundering, unfair competition, and intellectual property theft, as well as matters involving human rights claims and sovereign immunity. Steve also advises multinational companies on litigation and transactional risk assessment, risk mitigation strategies, and compliance measures.
Steve is a member of our global Business and Human Rights Risk team, a member of our Global ESG Board, and a member of the Vance Center Committee of The Cyrus R. Vance Center for International Justice.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Judicial Clerk, The Honorable Anthony M. Kennedy, Supreme Court of the United States (OT99)
- Judicial Clerk, The Honorable J. Harvie Wilkinson III, Chief Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Duke University (BS, Engineering, magna cum laude) 1989
- Northeastern University (MS, Engineering) 1993
- University of Virginia School of Law (JD, Law Review, Order of the Coif) 1998
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in Virginia 2001
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in the District of Columbia 2002
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2007