Sharis Pozen is the Co-Head of the Global Antitrust Practice at Clifford Chance. She has extensive experience in both government and private practice. Over the course of her career, Sharis has held senior positions at GE, the U.S. Department of Justice, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and two major law firms based in New York and Washington, D.C.
Prior to joining Clifford Chance, Sharis was the Vice President of Global Competition Law and Policy at GE, where she was responsible for merger clearance on numerous significant, transformational deals, steering global antitrust investigations to positive conclusions, antitrust compliance and other related issues.
Sharis is one of the few antitrust practitioners who has served in high-level positions at both the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
While working at a major New York-based law firm, Sharis was a partner and a leader in their antitrust and competition practice, where she advised clients on a broad spectrum of antitrust issues related to mergers and acquisitions, litigation, criminal investigations and counseling across national and multinational industries, including technology and telecommunications, health care and pharmaceutical, energy, financial services, transportation and agriculture.
While serving as acting assistant attorney general at the U.S. Department of Justice, Sharis led many high-profile matters and worked extensively with leaders of international antitrust authorities. She also oversaw several criminal antitrust matters.
Prior to working at the U.S. Department of Justice, Sharis was a partner at a major Washington, D.C.-based firm, where she served as a director of the firm’s Antitrust Group. Her practice focused on antitrust issues and trade regulation across a broad spectrum of industries.
- Third party technology companies in the DOJ, FTC, and state AG investigations of digital platforms, including Google and Facebook
- Global Music Rights in the DOJ consideration of the BMI and ASCAP consent agreements
- Shell on various antitrust issues
- Pfizer on various antitrust issues
- GE on its successful worldwide global merger clearance for its $13bn merger with Alstom
- GE on its successful global merger clearance for its joint venture with Baker Hughes, one of the largest industrial joint venture of its kind
- GE on its successful worldwide global merger clearances for its $11bn sale of GE Transportation to Wabtec
- GE on the sale of its appliance business, which was challenged in federal court litigation by the U.S. Department of Justice, and ultimately resulted in the sale of the business to Haier for US$5.6bn
- GE on global internal and government investigations, including in the EU, EU Member-states, Brazil, China, and Korea, and advised on GE’s global compliance policy
- Oversaw the U.S. Department of Justice's successful efforts in blocking AT&T’s proposed US$39bn purchase of T-Mobile
- Brought the eBooks case against Apple and five publishers while at the U.S. Department of Justice
- Oversaw the U.S. Department of Justice's successful investigation and prosecution of auto parts cartels, the largest criminal matter in the division’s history
- Represented the U.S. on competition issues before the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development and the International Competition Network
News and client work
- Law and Practice, Chambers and Partners Antitrust Litigation 2020 Guide
September 17, 2020
- Participant at the Antitrust Policy Roundtable Series at the University of Chicago Law School (July 10, 2020)
- Panelist at the Omidyar Network online webinar discussing how the UK Competition and Markets Authority's “Online Platforms and Digital Advertising Market Study” can influence the US approach (July 9, 2020)
- Restraints of trade and dominance in the United States: Overview, Thompson Reuters Practical Law (June 1, 2020)
- DOJ Task Force To Investigate Antitrust Crimes in Government Procurement, Pratt's Government Contracting Law Report, Volume 6 Issue 3 (March 2020)
- Antitrust Litigation: Law and Practice in the US, Chambers Global Practice Guide Antitrust Litigation 2019
- In the Know: Competition Law's Season of Uncertainty
May 2019 Corporate Counsel Business Journal
Career and qualifications
- Connecticut College (B.A.) 1986
- Washington University, St. Louis (J.D.) 1989
- Admitted as an attorney-at-law in Missouri 1989
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in the District of Columbia 1995
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner May 2019
- Women's Connection Committee, ABA Antitrust Law Section
- Chair, Board of Directors – National Partnership for Women and Families
- Member of the Board of Trustees – Connecticut College
- Member of the Advisory Board of Directors – D.C. Volunteer Lawyers Project
- Spring Meeting Co-Chair, 2014-2017 – American Bar Association Antitrust Section
- Member of the International Bar Association
Awards and citations
- Sharis Pozen and Peter Mucchetti have deep knowledge and contemporary understanding of the laws and the agencies.
Legal 500, 2022 – United States: Antitrust Merger control – Tier 4
- Sharis Pozen brings a wealth of governmental experience to her antitrust practice, having held positions in both the FTC and DOJ. She provides antitrust compliance advice and manages the merger clearance process, including counseling on multijurisdictional merger investigations. Sources say: "She is adept at developing game plans that account for all interests."
Chambers USA 2020: Antitrust (District of Columbia)
- Chairman's Award, 2016 – GE
- Inhouse Counsel of the Year, 2016 – Association of Corporate Counsel, National Capital Region
- Distinguished Alumni Award, 2016 – Washington University School of Law
- Listed in the Competition and Antitrust edition of Expert Guides, 2014 – Euromoney
- Profiled in The Best Lawyers in America review, 2014 – Global Competition Review
- Profiled in the "Women in Antitrust" Report, 2009, 2013 and 2016 – Global Competition Review
- International Who's Who of Competition Lawyers & Economists, 2014
- Included in the "Best Lawyers" List, 2013 – Washingtonian Magazine
- Listed in Who's Who Legal 100, 2013