Robert Villani has extensive experience in structured capital markets with an emphasis on structured credit vehicles such as collateralized loan obligation (CLO) and collateralized debt obligation (CDO) transactions. He has also been involved in traditional and novel asset-backed and mortgaged-backed offerings as well in offerings of both traditional and novel structured credit products, investment funds and other financial instruments.
Robert's experience includes representation of collateral managers, underwriters, issuers, credit enhancers, warehouse providers and other transaction parties in securitizations and repackagings of commercial real estate loans, leveraged loans and other corporate debt instruments, marketplace originated consumer and student loans, automobile and equipment loans and leases, corporate fleet leases, trade receivables, health care receivables, and securities and asset-backed securities. Many of these transactions were among the first of their type.
Robert has also advised participants in the creation and maintenance of several investment funds and asset-backed commercial paper programs, particularly those focused on the acquisition of distressed assets, and has substantial experience working with derivatives and related products.
News and client work
- Opal Group CLO Summit 2019: CLO Markets in a Regulated Environment
Moderator, December 9, 2019, Dana Point
- ABS East Conference: CLOs Across the Pond: Considerations for Investing in Europe vs the U.S.
Speaker, September 24, 2019
- IMN 8th Annual Investors' Conference on CLOs and Leveraged Loans: Securing Yield: Spotting Opportunities Across the Horizon
Speaker, May 21, 2019, New York City
- IMN's 24th Annual ABS East Conference: It’s Raining CLOs: Will the Forecast Call for More, or will Limited Asset Supply Calm the Pace?
Speaker, September 24, 2018, Miami
- Treasury Recommendations for the Residential Mortgage Lending Industry
The Real Estate Finance Journal
- Opal Group's CLO Summit: How to analyze structural features of a CLO
Moderator, November 29, 2018, Dana Point
- Clifford Chance, New York
- +1 212 878 8214
- Email me
- Follow me on LinkedIn
- Practice area Capital markets
- Sector Banks, Funds & investment management, Private equity, Real estate
Career and qualifications
- Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania (BS) 1986
- University of California, Los Angeles School of Law (JD) 1989
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 1990
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2008
Awards and citations
- Robert Villani is substantively knowledgeable and excellent and provides good service. I recommend him highly.
Legal 500, 2022 – United States: Finance Structures finance: Securitization – Tier 2
- Robert Villani is recognized for his noteworthy securitization practice, which sees him handle CLO transactions for a range of interested parties, and he is particularly active in the representation of asset managers. "Robert is a really good CLO lawyer. He has the required technical skills but can also keep the bigger picture in mind." "He's smart, pleasant and knows the market."
Chambers USA 2022: Capital Markets: Securitization: ABS (Nationwide) – Band 3
Chambers USA 2022: Capital Markets: Securitization: CLOs (Nationwide) – Band 2
Chambers USA 2022: Capital Markets: Securitization: CMBS (Nationwide) – Band 2
Chambers USA 2022: Capital Markets: Securitization: RMBS (Nationwide) – Band 2
- Recognized Practitioner
Chambers USA 2019 - Capital Markets: Securitisation (Nationwide)