Robert Villani has extensive experience in structured capital markets with an emphasis on structured credit vehicles such as collateralized loan obligation (CLO) and collateralized debt obligation (CDO) transactions. He has also been involved in traditional and novel asset-backed and mortgaged-backed offerings as well in offerings of both traditional and novel structured credit products, investment funds and other financial instruments.
Robert's experience includes representation of collateral managers, underwriters, issuers, credit enhancers, warehouse providers and other transaction parties in securitizations and repackagings of commercial real estate loans, leveraged loans and other corporate debt instruments, marketplace originated consumer and student loans, automobile and equipment loans and leases, corporate fleet leases, trade receivables, health care receivables, and securities and asset-backed securities. Many of these transactions were among the first of their type.
Robert has also advised participants in the creation and maintenance of several investment funds and asset-backed commercial paper programs, particularly those focused on the acquisition of distressed assets, and has substantial experience working with derivatives and related products.
- IMN 8th Annual Investors' Conference on CLOs and Leveraged Loans: Securing Yield: Spotting Opportunities Across the Horizon
Speaker, May 21, 2019, New York City
- IMN's 24th Annual ABS East Conference: It’s Raining CLOs: Will the Forecast Call for More, or will Limited Asset Supply Calm the Pace?
Speaker, September 24, 2018, Miami
- Treasury Recommendations for the Residential Mortgage Lending Industry
The Real Estate Finance Journal
- Opal Group's CLO Summit: How to analyze structural features of a CLO
Moderator, November 29, 2018, Dana Point
Japanese Financial Services Agency issues guidance on capital requirements for securitisation investors
18 March 2019
The EU Securitization Regulation - Considerations for US Issuers, Originators and Sponsors
11 February 2019
The EU Securitisation Regulation – do I need to worry?
23 January 2019
Treasury Issues Report Regarding Nonbank Financials, Fintech, and Innovation – Residential Mortgage Lending
11 August 2018
Pros and Cons of the OCC's New Fintech Charter
10 August 2018
Career and qualifications
- Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania (BS) 1986
- University of California, Los Angeles School of Law (JD) 1989
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 1990
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2008
Awards and citations
- Recognized Practitioner
Chambers USA 2019 - Capital Markets: Securitisation (Nationwide)