Philip Wagman advises clients on a range of domestic and international tax matters, including mergers and acquisitions, restructurings, joint ventures and leveraged buyouts, as well as structured finance and securitisation transactions, equipment leasing, securities offerings and other financing transactions.
- AB InBev’s key shareholders on the company’s acquisition of SAB Miller
- Citigroup Inc. on its acquisition and restructuring of EMI and on the sale of EMI to Universal and a consortium led by Sony
- AMC Networks on its USD$1 billion acquisition of Liberty Global's worldwide Chellomedia business unit
- Ontario Teachers Pension Plan on joint ventures with General Electric Company for development of the GE 9X aircraft engine
View all news and client work featuring Philip Wagman
Career and qualifications
Yale University (BA) 1991
- Law clerk to Judge John S. Martin, Jr., US District Court for the Southern District of New York, 1994 - 1995
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 1995
- New York University School of Law (LLM, Tax) 2001
- Joined Clifford Chance 2003
- Partner since 2005
Secretary, New York State Bar Association Tax Section (Executive Committee Member since 2011)
Awards and citations
- Philip Wagman is an outstanding lawyer, a true technician who is able to quickly provide thoughtful and digestible advice on a wide range of highly complex tax issues. He is brilliant and an excellent writer, but he is also modest, approachable and kind, which makes working with Philip a real pleasure.
Legal 500 2022 – United States: Tax, Financial Products – Tier 1
- Philip Wagman offers vast experience in transactional tax issues. He often advises on matters relating to cross-border M&A."He is very methodical, careful, thoughtful and very compelling in his explanations." "He is a really knowledgeable tax lawyer a really nice guy."
Chambers USA 2022: Tax (New York) – Band 4
- "He is a thorough, thoughtful and careful thinker who approaches the matters he works on with the utmost professional care and attention."
Chambers USA 2020
- Philip Wagman has been ranked in Chambers USA: Tax since 2014. He applies his tax knowledge to both corporate and finance transactions, including aviation finance. "He has proven to be invaluable and an expert," says a source; "He is very user-friendly, always prepared and very well-respected in the industry."
Chambers USA 2014 – Tax (New York)
- Philip Wagman is a “well-regarded tax practitioner” who is particularly noted for his work on M&A. He receives praise from peers and clients, who describe him as “highly intelligent, highly technical and overall extremely helpful.”
Chambers USA 2017 – Tax
- Recognized as a Leading Lawyer in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business