Jim Cotins is a partner in the Structured Capital Markets group. He has extensive experience in structured finance, including all aspects of the securitization of loans and securities backed by commercial real estate, with a primary focus on CMBS, including multi-seller conduits, single borrower securitizations, CRE CLOs, net-lease securitizations and single family rental securitizations (including both single borrower and multi-borrower deals).
Jim regularly represents all the main participants in commercial real estate-related securitizations, including issuers, underwriters, collateral managers, loan sellers and a nationally recognized statistical rating agency organization. He also represents investors in the acquisition and financing of all types of commercial real estate-related assets, including whole loans, B-Notes, participations, mezzanine loans, preferred equity, bank loans, CMBS and REIT debt.
- Representation of a first time issuer in connection with the creation and issuance of US$250 million of notes backed by a pool of net leased properties.
- Primary outside counsel for one of the most active rating agencies for commercial mortgage-backed securities.
- Representation of a major investment bank in connection with a US$900 million securitization of net-leased properties.
- Representation of a major investment bank in connection with a CRE CLO.
- Primary outside counsel for a major investment bank in connection with its resecuritization program of commercial mortgage-backed securities.
News and client work
- The Advantages of 'Direct Debt' Securitization Structures, Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law
Career and qualifications
- Washington University in St. Louis (BA) 1986,
- Boston University School of Law (JD, cum laude) 1989
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 1990
- Joined Clifford Chance 2019
Awards and citations
- "Jim Cotins is best known for advising all deal participants on the securitization of commercial real estate assets. "Jim is a very good lawyer who is very easy to deal with."
Chambers USA 2022: "Capital Markets: Securitization: ABS (Nationwide) – Band 3
Chambers USA 2022: Capital Markets: Securitization: CLOs (Nationwide) – Band 2
Chambers USA 2022: Capital Markets: Securitization: CMBS (Nationwide) – Band 2
Chambers USA 2022: Capital Markets: Securitization: RMBS (Nationwide) – Band 2"