Jeff Berman leads the firm’s US Financial Services Regulatory Group, with a practice that focuses on regulatory matters involving US and non-US investment funds, asset managers, banking organizations and bank holding companies, and includes private equity and hedge fund formation and financial institutions M&A.
Jeff's bank and securities regulatory practice spans 30 years. He advises clients on the operations of foreign banking organizations in the United States, capital adequacy rules and prudential standards, and regulatory approvals for acquisitions and new activities, as well as on compliance matters involving investment advisers, private offerings, and fund governance. Jeff has recently advised the firm's global banking and investment management clients on private equity and hedge fund marketing practices, fund manager registration and reporting, Volcker Rule compliance, enhanced supervision of systemically important banks, and the cross-border effectiveness of “bail-in” and resolution stay requirements.
Jeff serves pro bono as Chair of the US Bank Sector Working Group – UK Department for International Trade (DIT), convened by DIT to facilitate its engagement with the US banking industry on issues related to trade in financial services and regulatory cooperation.
- BC Partners, Bridgepoint, CVC Capital, Equistone and Permira, among other private fund managers, on SEC registration and/or reporting requirements, ongoing regulatory compliance, fund marketing and other matters related to their advisory operations
- AIG, Barclays, CITIC Capital, Deutsche Bank/RREEF, HSBC and Temasek, among others, with respect to the impact of the Volcker Rule on their private equity and hedge fund offerings and investments
- Apax Partners on the launch and operational aspects of its fund of hedge funds platform
- BC Partners on Volcker Rule and other Bank Holding Company Act issues arising in connection with the formation of the €6.5 billion BC European Capital IX
- Barclays Capital on the formation of its $1 billion Barclays Private Credit Partners Fund
- AllianceBernstein on the establishment of AllianceBernstein Private Credit Investors, a middle-market direct lending platform
- International Finance Corporation on its responses to the impact of the global financial crisis on developing countries, including a $5 billion fund to recapitalize systemically significant banks, and the establishment of IFC’s fund management subsidiary
- Corsair Capital on the separation of Corsair Capital from J.P. Morgan Chase, including the restructuring of interests in J.P. Morgan Corsair II Capital Partners, L.P., and the acquisition of portfolio investments in companies in the commercial banking, securities brokerage, specialty lines insurance, reinsurance and specialty finance markets
Clifford Chance advises on debut institutional fund for Griffis Residential
12 October 2017
Clifford Chance advises Bank of China Group Investment on the privatisation of Asia's biggest warehouse operator and real estate fund manager, Global Logistic Properties
19 July 2017
Clifford Chance advises syndicate on finance for REVA Medical, Inc
8 May 2017
- 2019 LSTA and LMA Joint Conference: Brexit: Delays, Dramas and Developments!
Speaker, May 9, 2019, New York City
- The Pros and Cons of the OCC's New FinTech Charter
Corporate Counsel Business Journal
- Clifford Chance, New York
- Email me
- Save my Vcard
- Practice area Funds & investment management , Financial regulation , Private equity [Investment management] , Financial services & markets , Capital markets , Banking & finance , M&A corporate
- Sector Banks , Insurance , Real estate , Funds & investment management , Private equity
Career and qualifications
- University of Rochester (BA, Economics) 1980
- University of Virginia (JD, Executive Editor, Virginia Law Review) 1986
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in the District of Columbia 1987; New York 1996
- Davis Polk & Wardwell 1987-2005 (Partner 1995-2005)
- Joined Clifford Chance 2006
- Partner since 2008