Jim Gouwar's practice concentrates on the tax aspects of structured ﬁnance transactions such as mortgage- and asset-backed transactions, collateralized loan and debt obligations (cash and synthetic) and real estate mortgage investment conduits (REMICs).
Jim has been involved in the development of a number of innovative securitization structures and has worked with a broad range of ﬁnancial assets.
Jim has experience with private equity funds, hedge funds, regulated investment companies, and other pooled investment vehicles.
Select highlights of Mr. Gouwar's experience includes advising on:
- the securitization of receivables from the sale of cellular telephones for Verizon Wireless
- the securitization of reperforming residential mortgage loans for a variety of clients including Cerberus/First Key, Carval/Mill City, and MetLife
- the securitization of performing residential mortgage loans for various clients
- the securitization of nonperforming residential mortgage loan transactions for various clients
- the securitization of GNMA commercial mortgage loan certificates for a variety of clients including Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, and Morgan Stanley
- the securitization of auto loans for various clients including Toyota, Honda and BMW
- the securitization of auto leases for various clients including BMW
- the securitization of student loans for various clients including Navient
- the securitization of market place loans sponsored by various platforms including Lending Club, Loan Depot, Prosper, Marlette, Upgrade and Upstart
- CLO transactions managed by various managers including Investcorp Credit Management US LLC (formerly known as 3i Debt Management US LLC) and Zais Leveraged Loan Master Manager LLC
News and client work
- Internal Revenue Service and Treasury Department Issue Final Regulations Providing Guidance on Transition from LIBOR,
Thomson Reuters Taxnet Pro, February 2022
- SFIG Vegas 2019: Navigating the Operational and Structural Complexity for Funds Investing in Securitized Credit
Panelist, February 24, 2019, Las Vegas
Career and qualifications
- University of Denver (B.A.) 1982
- University of Denver College of Law (J.D.) 1985
- New York University School of Law (LLM, Taxation) 1988
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 1988
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2018
- Co-chair for Introduction to Partnerships at New York University’s Summer Institute in Taxation
Awards and citations
- "James in an incredibly smart tax lawyer and very creative." "He is very thoughtful and finds creative solutions." "He's excellent, very knowledgeable about tax securitization."
Chambers USA 2022:Capital Markets: Securitization: ABS (Nationwide) – Band 3
Chambers USA 2022: Capital Markets: Securitization: CLOs (Nationwide) – Band 2
Chambers USA 2022: Capital Markets: Securitization: CMBS (Nationwide) – Band 2
Chambers USA 2022: Capital Markets: Securitization: RMBS (Nationwide) – Band 2"
- Member, Practice Group of the Year, Tax