Gianluca Bacchiocchi is a capital markets, projects and banking and finance partner in Clifford Chance's Americas Energy & Infrastructure Group.
He focuses his practice on representing sponsors, issuers and underwriters in cross-border capital markets transactions with Latin America, including project bond and multisourced financings, issuances of asset-backed securities, future-flow backed securities and high-yield debt.
Gianluca also assists sponsors, borrowers and lenders with project and infrastructure financings, public-private partnership bidding processes, general secured and unsecured lending arrangements and international debt restructurings. He is recognised as a leading practitioner in the Latin America finance, projects and capital markets sections of Chambers and Legal 500, with the former noting that he is "considered a pioneer in the area of project bonds” and the latter that he is “a dominant figure for project bonds.” Gianluca is fluent in Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish.
- an international bank on the Rule 144/Reg S securitization of government receivables for the development of the integral rail system of Panama City Metro line 2, which involved the first ever issuance of CDNO backed project bonds
- the arrangers and lenders with respect to a working capital facility and CPAO term-loan facility for the Lima Metro Line 1 Expansion
- the consortium with respect to the Rule 144A/Reg S securitization of RPI-CAOs and loan financings for the US$5.3 billion Metro de Lima y Callao Line 2 project in Peru; Americas P3 Deal of the Year 2015, Project Finance International; Latin America Multisourced Financing Deal of the Year 2015, IJGlobal; 2016 Project Finance Deal of the Year, IFLR; Americas Deal of the Year 2015, Trade Finance
- the arranger and placement agent in a 4(2)/Reg S US$132.8 million offering of project bonds to finance the construction of a new 223 MW cold reserve power plant in Northern Peru; Latin American Project Bond Deal of the Year 2013 and Overall Latin American Deal of the Year 2013, Project Finance Magazine; Project Finance Deal of the Year 2013, IFLR; Best Infrastructure Bond of the Year 2013, Latin Finance
- the issuer, arranger and initial purchaser in a Reg S US$230 million securitization of RPICAOs to finance multiple medical facilities in Peru. This transaction was ranked as one of the most innovative finance deals of 2012 by Financial Times in its 2012 US Innovative Lawyers report
- the arranger and initial purchaser in a Reg S S/.320,000,000 securitization of RPICAOs for the financing of the Huascacocha water treatment facility in Peru; Latin American Water Infrastructure Deal of the Year 2010, Project Finance; 2011 Americas Project Finance Deal of the Year, IFLR
- the initial purchaser in a Rule 144A/Reg S US$164.9 million issuance of project bonds for the Jorge Chávez International Airport in Lima, Peru; Project Finance Deal of the Year, IFLR; Latin American Infrastructure Bond Deal of the Year 2007, Project Finance
- the issuer, arranger and initial purchaser in a Rule 144A/Reg S US$1.2 billion securitization of CRPAOs for the financing of the Tramo 2 and 3 sections of the IIRSA Sur toll road project in Peru; Infrastructure Deal of the Year 2007, Latin Finance; Best Structured Bond Deal of the Year 2007, Latin Finance
- Represented Goldman Sachs and Scotia Capital (as initial purchasers), and Bancolombia, Banco de Bogota, Banco de Occidenteand the CAF-AM Ashmore Debt Fund (as senior lenders) in the approximately US$472 million multi-tranche and multi-currency financing for the CosteraCartagena Barranquilla toll road project in Colombia which included a combination of Rule 144A/RegS USD bonds and COP bonds, COP and UVR commercial bank loans, a subordinated revolving liquidity facility and currency hedges.
- Represented Goldman Sachs (as initial purchaser) and Bancolombia, Corpbancaand the Compartimentode DeudaPrivadaInfraestructuraDebt Fund (as senior lenders) in the approximately US$1 billion multi-tranche and multi-currency financing for the ConexionPacifico3 toll road project in Colombia which included a combination of Rule 144A/RegS USD bonds and COP bonds, COP and UVR commercial bank loans, a subordinated revolving liquidity facility and currency hedges.
- Represented the consortium with respect to the Rule 144A/RegS project bond issuance and loan financings for the US$5.3 billion Metro de Lima y Callao Line 2 project in Peru. Americas P3 Deal of the Year 2015, Project Finance International; Latin America MultisourcedFinancing Deal of the Year 2015, IJGlobal; 2016 Project Finance Deal of the Year, IFLR; Americas Deal of the Year 2015, Trade Finance.
- Represented BESI –GrupoNovo Banco and Credit Suisse, as arrangers and placement agents, on a $273.7 million 4(2)/RegS securitization of RPIs for the Red Dorsal Nacional de FibraOpticaproject in Peru. Latin America Telecoms Deal of the Year 2015, IJGlobal; 2015 Best Bond, Latin Finance.
- Represented the Pension Fund of the State of Rio de Janeiro –RioPrevidênciaon the Rule 144A/RegS US$2 billion Oil Royalty Securitization and a further US$1.1 billion notes issuance secured by the state’s future oil and gas royalties. Deal of the Year 2014, Latin Lawyer; Structured Financing of the Year and Financing Innovation of the Year 2014, Latin Finance.
- Represented the arranger and placement agent in a 4(2)/RegS US$132.8 million issuance of project bonds to finance the construction of a new 223 MW cold reserve power plant in Northern Peru. Latin American Project Bond Deal of the Year 2013 and Overall Latin American Deal of the Year 2013, Project Finance Magazine; Project Finance Deal of the Year 2013, IFLR; Best Infrastructure Bond of the Year 2013, Latin Finance.
- Represented the sponsors and issuer in a Rule 144A/RegS US$110 million issuance of project bonds to finance the construction of a terminal at the PaitaPort in Peru. Project/Infrastructure Financing Deal of the Year 2012, Latin Finance.
- Clifford Chance Wins Big at the 2017 LatinFinance Project & Infrastructure Finance Awards
10 October 2017
Clifford Chance advises on Paraguay's first PPP project with novel financing for the Rutas 2 and 7 toll road
17 October 2019
Clifford Chance advises on Colombia's first private investment made by a Chinese construction company in a 4G toll road project
6 August 2019
Clifford Chance advises Allianz Global Investors on private placement refinancing for Peruvian wind farms
6 December 2018
Clifford Chance advises on Colombia's first private initiative project to be financed internationally
22 December 2017
Clifford Chance US Listed as a Qualified Advisor for the Puerto Rico Public-Private Partnership ("PPP") Authority
18 December 2017
Clifford Chance named "Best International Counsel – Projects" by Chambers Latin America
29 November 2017
Clifford Chance completes another major infrastructure financing in Peru
25 August 2017
Clifford Chance advises on landmark securitization for Panama infrastructure project
22 August 2017
Clifford Chance advises Citigroup on Landmark Dual Project Bond Offering for Ruta 27 Toll Road in Costa Rica
2 June 2017
Clifford Chance advises on the second financing of Peru's first subway project
29 October 2015
Clifford Chance advises on the financing of Peru's first subway project
22 June 2015
Clifford Chance advises Banco Santander, S.A. on innovative Peruvian toll road project financing
10 June 2015
Clifford Chance advises on the financing of Peru's first nationwide fiber optic infrastructure project
13 April 2015
Colombia: Cargo Por Confiabilidad – 2019 Auction Process
26 February 2019
Getting infrastructure projects right
15 November 2018
Infrastructure: 21st Century Challenges - A legal perspective
29 October 2018
Electricity Transmission, the Second Step in Argentina's Ambitious Infrastructure PPP Plan
19 July 2018
Mexico Announces Groundbreaking Transmission Line Tenders
6 March 2018
Career and qualifications
- University of Michigan (B.A.) 1994
- Joined Clifford Chance as partner 2015
Awards and citations
- Gianluca Bacchiocchi is singled out by interviewees as "a big picture kind of partner." They go on to add: "He is a very good communicator and a detail-oriented lawyer." His expansive knowledge of project financing makes him an obvious choice to prominent borrowers and lenders engaged in high-value regional infrastructure deals. He is highly adept at handling Latin American transactions and has been particularly active in Argentina, Paraguay and Colombia.
Chambers Latin America 2020, Projects – Latin America-wide
- Gianluca Bacchiocchi is well regarded for his understanding of Latin American capital markets transactions, with a distinct focus on project finance matters. He has notable experience in representing financial institutions acting as initial purchasers and arrangers in project bond offerings and securitisation deals.
Chambers Latin America 2020, Capital Markets – Latin America-wide
- The "fantastic" Gianluca Bacchiocchi is "smart and commercial, the kind of person you want on your side," according to one interviewee. He has long-standing experience representing international and local investment banks as sponsors in intricate cross-border infrastructure project financings across the region.
Chambers Latin America 2019, Projects – Latin America-wide
- Gianluca Bacchiocchi garners praise from peers for his knowledge of structured financial products. He combines his expertise of debt financing and energy and infrastructure to advise financial institutions on complex, multi-source debt securities offerings to raise capital for projects.
Chambers Latin America 2019, Capital Markets – Latin America-wide
- Ranked as a Leading Individual. Gianluca Bacchiocchi is "the go to guy for many of the banks" on project bonds, and has impressed further in hybrid financings and PPPs in Argentina.
Legal 500 Latin America 2019, Projects and Energy – International Firms
- Gianluca Bacchiocchi is widely regarded as one of the market leading forces in project bond financings
Legal 500 Latin America 2019, Capital Markets – International Firms
- Ranked as a Leading Individual. New York’s Gianluca Bacchiocchi is a prominent figure in project bonds and hybrid and multi-source financings, most notably in Colombia and Peru where he advises a range of commercial and investment banks, multilateral agencies and sponsors.
Legal 500 Latin America 2018, Projects and Energy – International Firms
- Gianluca Bacchiocchi is noted for his expertise in complex capital market financing, particularly in securitisation and in the issuance of project bonds. Clients are full of praise for him, describing him as "technically one of the best out there, detail-oriented - there's nothing he doesn't catch." They add: "He stands apart for his creative ideas on solving issues." Bacchiocchi is also recognised for his specialisation in the Peruvian market.
Chambers Latin America 2018, Projects – Latin America-wide
- Clients describe Gianluca Bacchiocchi as "highly available and proactive, with both sector and product expertise." Market sources recognise his prominence in infrastructure project financing.
Chambers Latin America 2018, Capital Markets – Latin America-wide
- Gianluca Bacchiocchi has been ranked in Chambers USA - Latin American Investment (New York). Gianluca Bacchiocchi advises on capital markets and banking and finance matters. He is best known for his deep understanding of the Peruvian market, where he has an especially strong reputation in the field of project bonds. Sources say that he is "excellent and very practical."
Chambers USA 2017- Latin American Investment
- Gianluca has been named a "Foreign Expert" by Chambers Global and has been recognized in Chambers Latin America for his capital markets, banking and finance, and projects work. He "is described by sources as 'the go-to person and an excellent leader.' They add: '[h]e manages on the transactional side and makes sure it goes smoothly. He is capable of achieving very impressive results and co-ordinating both the international and local aspects'." Sources attest to an impressive 'business saviness'" and "describe him as 'a very business-driven lawyer'."