Cliff Cone focuses his practice on the investment management sector and has a broad base of expertise advising alternative investment managers, registered investment companies and boards of directors with respect to all aspects of the Investment Company Act of 1940 and the Investment Advisers Act of 1940.
Cliff has extensive experience with the organization and ongoing representation of U.S. registered open-end and closed-end investment companies, exchange-traded funds and business development companies. He also regularly consults with investment advisers on registration and ongoing compliance and disclosure issues.
- Advising a foreign asset manager on a US Securities and Exchange Commission investigation into the sale of an asset.
- Advised the underwriters, led by Wells Fargo Securities LLC, on the US$186,875,000 Nuveen Preferred and Income 2022 Term Fund closed-end fund offering.
- Advised the underwriters, led by Wells Fargo Securities LLC, on the US$580 million initial public offering of Tekla World Healthcare Fund.
- Advised the underwriters, led by Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated on the US$280 million AllianzGI Diversified Income & Convertible Fund offering.
- Advised TriplePoint Venture Growth BDC, Corp., a business development company, on its US$125 million initial public offering.
- Advised Deutsche Bank and the other Underwriters on the US$103,106,020 initial public offering of the Eagle Point Credit Company.
- Advised the underwriters, led by Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated on the US$1,625,176,700 Goldman Sachs MLP and Energy Renaissance Fund offering. This offering was a was the largest closed-end fund offering of 2014 and the largest MLP closed-end fund offering ever.
- Advised the dealers led by Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated on the US$326,663,470 initial public offering of Western Asset Middle Market Income Fund Inc.
- Advised the underwriters, led by Wells Fargo Securities, LLC on the US$885,500,000Tekla Healthcare Opportunities Fund closed-end fund offering.
- Advised Bank of America Merrill Lynch in its role as lead underwriter on the US$752,720,675 Cohen & Steers Limited Duration Preferred and Income Fund, Inc. offering, a closed-end fund.
- Advised the management of US-based investment management businesses Global Thematic Partners and QS Investors, in their spin-out from Deutsche Asset Management.
- Advises numerous registered investment advisers on all issues relating to compliance under the Advisers Act and related registration issues.
- Clifford Chance Wins Big at the 2017 LatinFinance Project & Infrastructure Finance Awards
10 October 2017
News and client work
- 18th Annual Capital Link Closed-End Funds & Global ETFs Forum: Evolving Case Study of New CEFs Brought to Market
Moderator, May 22, 2019
Career and qualifications
- Cornell University (BA, American Studies) 2002
- Brooklyn Law School (JD, Notes and Comments Editor, Brooklyn Law Review, Richardson Merit Scholar) 2005
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 2006
- Joined Clifford Chance 2007
- Partner since 2013