Itır Sevim-Çiftçi heads the Corporate/M&A practice in the Istanbul Office. She is specialised in mergers & acquisitions and restructurings and has excellent knowledge of the Turkish market and its key players.
During her practice of over 25 years, she has advised key strategic and financial investors in numerous landmark transactions, various investments and major privatisation transactions. Itır has vast experience on structured equity investments, joint ventures and private equity funds mainly in the following sectors: infrastructure and energy, consumer goods and retail, financial services, food and beverage, healthcare, life sciences and chemicals, industrials and private equity.
*Clifford Chance works in cooperation with Yegin Ciftci Attorney Partnership on Turkish law matters
- EWE AG on the sale of its energy business including its gas distribution networks, electricity and gas trading company and the telecom business in Turkey to SOCAR
- Emirates NBD in connection with its USD 3.2 billion acquisition of Denizbank from Sberbank
- Pfizer in relation to several restructuring transactions of its Turkish business
- Mastercard in its exit of payment transaction services business in Turkey through selling entire stake in its Turkish subsidiary to Kartek Holding
- Kellogg Company in its acquisition of 50% stake in Kellogg Med Gida from Yıldız HoldingPSA International in connection with Akfen Holding’s sale of its shares to IFM Investors and PSA International’s acquisition of majority stake in Mersin Liman İşletmeciliği A.Ş.
- Ajinomoto in the acquisition of 100% of the shares in Kükre Gıda ve İhtiyaç Maddeleri Nakliyat ve Özel Eğitim Hizmetleri Ticaret ve Sanayi Anonim Şirketi in two tranches
- IFC in connection with a minority stake investment in F.I.T. Solutions, an innovative fintech company
- Alcazar Energy Partners, an independent developer and power producer focused on renewable energy generation across the META region, on the acquisition of Yander Elektrik, which holds a licence for WPP in western Turkey
- IFC, in connection with its structured minority equity investment in Martur Car Systems, one of the world’s leading suppliers in automotive seat production
- SOCAR Turkey in connection with the proposed acquisition of OMV Petrol Ofisi, one of the largest private companies and Turkey’s leading fuel products distribution and lubricants company
- QNB Group in EUR€2.7 billion acquisition of National Bank of Greece’s majority stake in Finansbank and its subsidiaries (Finans Invest, Finans Portfolio, Cigna Finans, Finans Leasing, Finans Factoring and PSA Finance and others)
- IFC and EBRD in connection with a minority stake investment in Odeabank, a joint stock company in which Bank Audi SAL holds the majority shares
- IFC and EBRD in connection with a minority stake investment in Fibabanka A.Ş.
- KKCG Investments, a potential bidder, in the tender in connection with the privatisation of the Turkish National Lottery (Milli Piyango)
- Partners Group in connection with its minority stake investment in Enerya Elektrik Ticaret A.Ş., an electricity distribution company within the STFA Group
- CarrefourSA in connection with the acquisition of majority stake in Kiler Supermarkets, one of the leading retailers in Turkey
- IFC in connection with its acquisition of 27% stake in Gama Enerji
- EBRD, on its equity investment in Onedio, a Turkish social content platform
- The shareholders of Millenicom, a leading telecommunication company in Turkey, with respect to the sale of their shares to EWE, one of the largest energy companies
Smart Contracts (Code vs. Contract): an overview of blockchain technology and legal implications of smart contracts from a Turkish law perspective
1 December 2017
Capital Markets Board of Turkey Amended the Allocations & Offering Prices
1 December 2017
The New Labour Courts Law in Turkey introduces a Mandatory Mediation Process
1 December 2017
Turkish Data Protection Law
1 November 2016
A new law to incentivise and facilitate investments in Turkish market
9 August 2016
- Clifford Chance, Istanbul
- Email me
- Save my Vcard
- Speaks Turkish and English
- Practice area Antitrust, EU & trade , Capital markets , Financial regulation , M&A corporate , PFI PPP , Real estate
- Sector Energy & resources , Industrials , Insurance , Private equity , Telecommunications, media & technology , Transport & logistics
Career and qualifications
- Istanbul University School of Law 1992
- University of Chicago International Transaction Certificate Program 1998
- Admitted as a Lawyer in Turkey (Mersin Bar Association) 1993 and (Istanbul Bar Association) 1995
- A leading American Law Firm Istanbul Office 1995
- A leading American Law Firm Chicago Office 1998
- Joined a leading Turkish law firm 1999, became a Partner in 2004
- Joined Yegin Çiftçi Attorney Partnership 2013
Awards and citations
- Itır Sevim-Çiftçi is praised by clients for being "approachable, responsive and pragmatic."
Chambers Global 2018 – Corporate/M&A Turkey
- Itır Sevim-Ciftci is highly active on the Turkish M&A market and regularly acts as local counsel on multi-jurisdictional mandates.
Chambers Global: Turkey, 2017
- Itır Sevim-Çiftçi is highly active in the Turkish transactional market, acting for a wide range of international clients on significant cross-border mandates. According to interviewees, "she has strong drafting skills and a good view of the bigger commercial picture. She is a wonderful negotiator who protects her client's interests, but also handles herself maturely to win the respect of her counterparties."
Chambers Global: Turkey, 2016
- Itır Sevim-Çiftçi is a "very experienced" M&A lawyer with a widely recognised reputation in Turkey. She has recently been involved in several large-scale, cross-border mandates.
Chambers Global: Turkey, 2015
- Itır Sevim-Çiftçi is "very talented, with a very sharp intellect".
Chambers Global, Corporate/M&A Turkey
- Itır Sevim-Çiftçi is described as someone who "impresses interviewees with her deep expertise in M&A and technical nous".
Chambers Europe, Corporate/M&A Turkey