Thomas England has more than 12 years’ experience advising both financial institutions and corporate clients on finance and restructuring transactions in London and South East Asia, having relocated to the Singapore office in January 2011.
Thomas specialises in complex financing transactions across a broad range of products including acquisition finance; restructuring transactions and portfolio disposals; energy and resources financings (including reserve-based lending); asset-backed financings and other trade finance, and syndicated lending. Tom has a broad exposure to a number of jurisdictions in the region, with a particular focus on India and Indonesia.
- acting for the arrangers on the acquisition financing arrangements in connection with the US$11.6 billion take-private of Global Logistic Properties FinanceAsia Deal of the Year / Best Leveraged Finance Deal
- acting for KrisEnergy in connection with the restructuring of its entire capital structure
- acting for the lenders on the US$8 billion bridge financing for entities owned by PETRONAS and Saudi Aramco in connection with Malaysia's refinery and petrochemical integrated development project
- acting for the lenders in relation to a US$650 million financing in connection with an acquisition in the Indonesian retail sector
- acting for the arranger on the acquisition financing arrangements in connection with the US$320 million take-private of OSIM
- acting for the arrangers in relation to a US$1.99 billion financing for Trafigura Pte Ltd
Clifford Chance advises ICG Strategic Equity on portfolio acquisition in conjunction with the MBO of Standard Chartered Bank's Private Equity Unit
18 December 2018
Clifford Chance advises KrisEnergy on capital restructuring solutions across debt and equity capital markets, finance and derivatives
6 February 2017
IBOR fallbacks for derivatives – ISDA's supplemental consultation on term and spread adjustments for floating rates and its consultation on pre-cessation issues
13 June 2019
OIS and RFR Futures Conventions: Lessons for LIBOR replacement term rates
26 October 2018
LIBOR - A brief history
19 October 2018
Transitioning from LIBORs and IBORs - an international overview
17 October 2018
LIBOR - Cross Product Review
10 October 2018
Career and qualifications
- University of Nottingham (LLB) 2004
- Joined Clifford Chance 2006
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2008
- Partner since May 2018
- Law Society of England and Wales
Awards and citations
- "Thomas is a highly effective lawyer who is technically outstanding and commercially sound, and is able to command the respect of those at the deal table".
IFLR 1000 2018: Singapore, Banking: Foreign
- A client describes him as "consistently hard-working and able to provide quality advice," while another notes his "impeccable work on loan transactions".
Chambers Global 2018: Singapore, Banking & Finance: International
- Recognised as a Next Generation Lawyer for Banking and Finance: Foreign Firms
Legal 500 2018 and 2017: Singapore
- Recognised as a Next Generation Lawyer for Energy: Foreign Firms
Legal 500 2018 and 2017: Singapore
- Thomas England advises both banks and borrowers on lending transactions in the region, particularly energy and resources financing, restructuring and insolvency, and asset-backed financing. Clients note: "He has incredible attention to detail and is very thorough".
Chambers Global 2017: Singapore, Banking & Finance: International
- Thomas England has a reputation as an "up and coming star" amongst clients who say he has "unbelievably good attention to detail and is very thorough - a trusted pair of hands".
Chambers Global 2016: Singapore, Banking & Finance: International
- Recognised as an Up and Coming lawyer