Thomas England has more than 15 years of experience advising financial investors, financial institutions and corporate clients on finance and restructuring transactions across Asia-Pacific and further afield, and has been with CC Singapore for over 10 years.
Thomas specialises in complex financing and restructuring transactions across a broad range of products including acquisition finance (including portfolio acquisitions and disposals); restructuring transactions; energy and resources financings (including reserve-based lending); asset-backed financings and other trade finance; direct lending, real estate financing, funds financing, margin lending and other structured finance, as well as syndicated lending. Tom has a broad exposure to a number of jurisdictions in the region, with a particular focus on India and Indonesia.
- acting for ICG on the portfolio financing arrangements on the spin-off of Standard Chartered Bank's private equity arm, Standard Chartered Private Equity, involving a portfolio of private equity investments in 35 countries across South East Asia, India, China, South Korea, the Middle East and Africa, backed by a portfolio of listed and unlisted assets Secondaries deal of the year in Asia 2018; PEI Awards 2018
- acting for the arrangers on the recent spin-out of Maxeon Singapore (the global leader in solar innovation) from SunPower
- acting for the arrangers on the acquisition financing arrangements in connection with the US$11.6 billion take-private of Global Logistic Properties FinanceAsia Deal of the Year / Best Leveraged Finance Deal
- acting for KrisEnergy in connection with the restructuring of its entire capital structure
- acting for the lenders on the US$8 billion bridge financing for entities owned by PETRONAS and Saudi Aramco in connection with Malaysia's refinery and petrochemical integrated development project
- acting for the arranger on the acquisition financing arrangements in connection with the US$320 million take-private of OSIM
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Nottingham (LLB) 2004
- Joined Clifford Chance 2006
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2008
- Partner since May 2018
- Law Society of England and Wales
Awards and citations
- "Thomas England is super lawyer. He has focus for detail unlike many other law firm partners. In a tough negotiation, he is a partner that we want involved in our deals"; "Thomas England and his team are very detailed, balanced, quick to respond and very solution oriented".
Legal 500 2020: Singapore Banking and Finance
- "Rising star" Thomas England attracts strong praise from clients, with one regarding him as a "very technically proficient" lawyer who "delivers top-notch work"; "He is a hands-on partner who deals with our clients in a pragmatic way to try and get the deal done efficiently".
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020: Singapore
- "very hardworking and really passionate about getting deals over the line".
Legal 500 2019: Singapore Banking and Finance
- "Thomas England acts for an enviable stable of international banks and lenders on the establishment and renewal of loan facilities to companies in the region. He is also experienced working with borrowers. Commentators rate his technical skill and dedication very highly".
Chambers Asia Pacific 2019: Singapore
- Next Generation Partner
- "Highly regarded" for both Banking and Finance and for Restructuring and Insolvency
- "Expertise Based Abroad in Indonesia"
- "Thomas is a highly effective lawyer who is technically outstanding and commercially sound, and is able to command the respect of those at the deal table".
IFLR 1000 2018: Singapore, Banking: Foreign
- A client describes him as "consistently hard-working and able to provide quality advice," while another notes his "impeccable work on loan transactions".
Chambers Global 2018: Singapore, Banking & Finance: International
- Recognised as a Next Generation Lawyer for Banking and Finance: Foreign Firms
Legal 500 2018 and 2017: Singapore
- Recognised as a Next Generation Lawyer for Energy: Foreign Firms
Legal 500 2018 and 2017: Singapore
- Thomas England advises both banks and borrowers on lending transactions in the region, particularly energy and resources financing, restructuring and insolvency, and asset-backed financing. Clients note: "He has incredible attention to detail and is very thorough".
Chambers Global 2017: Singapore, Banking & Finance: International
- Thomas England has a reputation as an "up and coming star" amongst clients who say he has "unbelievably good attention to detail and is very thorough - a trusted pair of hands".
Chambers Global 2016: Singapore, Banking & Finance: International
- Recognised as an Up and Coming lawyer