* Clifford Chance Asia is a Formal Law Alliance in Singapore between Clifford Chance Pte Ltd and Cavenagh Law LLP
Paul Sandosham, Managing Partner of Cavenagh Law LLP, heads the Energy, Infrastructure and Resources (Disputes) practice for South East Asia. He focuses on dispute resolution (litigation, mediation & international arbitration) in the energy, power, oil & gas, infrastructure, construction, engineering, rail, transport, utilities, natural resources, international trade and commodities sectors.
Paul acts as counsel in court and international arbitration proceedings (under ICC, SIAC, DIAC, ADCCAC, UNCITRAL, ICSID etc. Rules) for various parties in disputes arising out of complex cross-border disputes. Paul is a qualified Chartered Arbitrator. He is a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and Singapore Institute of Arbitrators.
Paul is recognised as a leading dispute resolution practitioner in numerous independent legal directories.
- Paul has acted for a variety of clients in disputes arising out of numerous large-scale and complex projects including commercial and residential developments, industrial buildings, resorts, hotels, toll roads, bridges, railways, pipelines, mines, FPSOs, offshore LNG terminals, mooring buoys, oil refineries, power stations (coal, oil, natural gas, nuclear, hydropower, geothermal) and petrochemical plants, in several jurisdictions including in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, India, Lao PDR, Philippines, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, KSA, Mauritius, Maldives, Tanzania, Nigeria, Pakistan, Turkey, China, Mongolia and Papua New Guinea. He also has extensive experience in international trade and commodities disputes.
- Paul is on the panel of arbitrators of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC), Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration (KLRCA) Pacific International Arbitration Centre (PIAC), Bahrain Centre for Dispute Resolution (BCDR) and CIArb (London). He has sat as sole arbitrator and tribunal chairman in international arbitrations relating to cross-border disputes involving parties from numerous jurisdictions including Austria, BVI, Canada, China, Dominica, India, Italy, Jordan, Korea, Singapore, Syria, UAE and UK.
- General Editor – A Practical Guide to the SIAC Rules, Lexis Nexis
- Contributor – Law & Practice of Construction Contracts, Sweet & Maxwell
- Specialist contributor and co-editor of the publication entitled Doing Business in India and co-author of the chapter on Dispute Resolution.
- Assistant editor and co-author of the published book entitled India-Singapore CECA, The Investor's Guide
- Australian Construction Law Newsletter, October 2014, Court of Appeal Accepts Frustration in 'Sand Ban' Case Appeal
- Contributor to the Commentary on the Public Sector Standard Conditions of Contract 7th Edition
- Clifford Chance, Singapore
- Email me
- Save my Vcard
- Speaks English and Malay
- Practice area Litigation, dispute resolution & risk management
- Sector Energy & resources, Government & public sector bodies, Logistics, Mining & metals, Oil & gas, Power & energy networks, Rail, Transportation infrastructure
Career and qualifications
- University of Bristol (LL.B) 1994
- National University of Singapore (Postgraduate Diploma in Singapore Law) 1995
- Admitted as an advocate and solicitor in Singapore 1996
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2000
- Registered Practitioner in the Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIFC) Courts 2008
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2012
- Joined Clifford Chance Asia 2012
- Senior Accredited Specialist (Building & Construction) awarded by Singapore Academy of Law
- Chartered Arbitrator
- Fellow Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- Fellow Singapore Institute of Arbitrators (FSIArb)
- Accredited Mediator by Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution in London (CEDR)
- Panel of Arbitrators of Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC), Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration (KLRCA), Pacific International Arbitration Centre (PIAC) Bahrain Centre for Dispute Resolution (BCDR) and Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, London
- Member of Board of Directors of The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Singapore) Ltd
- Faculty member of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member of the Law Society of Singapore's Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Committee
- Co-Vice Chairman for International Arbitration in the Law Society’s ADR Committee
- Member of the appointments sub-committee responsible for appointing arbitrators under the Law Society of Singapore Arbitration Scheme (LSAS)
- Member of Singapore Academy of Law Focus Group on Construction
- Member of Law Reform Committee for Construction
- Member of Law Society’s Foreign Lawyers Advisory Panel
- Assistant Adjunct Professor of the National University of Singapore teaching construction law
- Honorary legal advisor to the Association of Aerospace Industries (Singapore) and the Singapore Chapter of the International Real Estate Federation (FIABCI - Singapore)
Awards and citations
- Who's Who Legal: Arbitration
Future Leaders 2019
- Nominated in Experts' Guide - Construction & Real Estate
- Paul Sandosham is a popular choice for international arbitration cases related to the construction, energy and infrastructure sectors. Interviewees note his visibility on both arbitration and litigation and one client especially praises his "understanding of technical issues.“
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018: Singapore: Dispute Resolution: Arbitration
- Paul Sandosham is praised for his hands-on approach when assisting clients, with one noting: "He is very smart and, unlike a lot of partners, he is very happy to get his hands dirty with work and get down into it. This is reflected in the advice he gives and the way he is able to guide the settlement." He is also appreciated by clients for being "easy to work with, able to grasp the issues and very persuasive in court." He is known as an expert in construction-related disputes and arbitrations both in Singapore and across the region.
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018: Singapore: Dispute Resolution: Constructions
- Paul Sandosham is identified as a ‘star’ and a ‘master tactician’, who is ‘never afraid to take on difficult issues’ ; he is highlighted for his ability in infrastructure and construction cases.
Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2018: International Arbitration and Construction
- The "talented" Paul Sandosham is Clifford Chance's head of energy, infrastructure and resources disputes in South-East Asia. He has a wealth of experience acting for major clients in arbitrations across the region. Interviewees laud his hands-on managerial style, commenting: "He drives the strategy forward and is exceptionally good at handling clients but also remarkably involved in running the case, which is quite rare with big-name partners."
Chambers & Partners 2017: Singapore: Construction
- Paul Sandosham heads the firm's South-East Asia energy disputes practice and wins plaudits for his good judgement and receptiveness to ideas. Peers attest to his strong advocacy skills and identify him as being at "the heart of the practice."
Chambers & Partners 2017: Singapore: Dispute Resolution
- The "extremely effective" Paul Sandosham is rated for his "strong sector understanding, strategic foresight and driven execution"
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017: Singapore: Construction, Local firms
- Described as a "highly regarded practitioner"
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017: Singapore: Dispute Resolution: Local firms
- Listed as a "leading individual"
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017: Singapore: International Arbitration