Michiel Sunderman is Partner and head of the Amsterdam Tax practice. He is an all-round tax expert, specialising in M&A, financial restructurings, fund structuring (with a focus on private equity and carried interest structuring), corporate, cross border and structured finance transactions.
- Advising AMC Networks on the acquisition of substantially all of Chellomedia, the international content division of Liberty Global, for EUR€750 million
- Advising Staples Inc, on the sale of its Printing Systems Division to CoBe Capital
- Advising Gamma Holding on the sale of Clear Edge Filtration to the Filtration Group Corporation
- Advising Montague Private Equity LLP on the acquisition of DORC Holding B.V., a surgical ophthalmic disposables and equipment platforms manufacturer and developer
Clifford Chance Amsterdam advises Vermaat on the acquisition of a majority stake in the Amsterdam based food store chain Stach
9 September 2019
Clifford Chance advises Gilde Buy Out Partners on its acquisition of Xindao
24 July 2019
Clifford Chance Amsterdam advises on the sale of Royal Reesink
13 June 2019
Clifford Chance advises AC Energy on the restructuring and sale of its thermal interest to Aboitiz Power
22 May 2019
Clifford Chance advises CACEIS on a EUR 188 million public offer for all issued shares and depositary receipts of shares in the capital of Kas Bank
27 February 2019
The First EU General Court judgment on State Aid through tax rulings – are there wider implications?
8 March 2019
Tax treatment of AT1 and RT1 instruments issued by banks and insurers in certain European jurisdictions
25 July 2018
Abolition of Dutch tax deductibility of AT1 and RT1 coupons: what does this mean for issuers and noteholders?
6 July 2018
Dutch tax reforms - impact on US multinationals
19 October 2017
2017 Dutch coalition agreement - tax impact on financial institutions
16 October 2017
Career and qualifications
- University of Groningen (Economics and Econometrics) 1996
- University of Groningen (Law) 1996
- New York University (Master of Laws, Taxation) 1997
- Freshfields, Amsterdam and London 2000
- De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek, Amsterdam 2004
- Admitted as an advocaat in Netherlands 2006
- Joined Clifford Chance 2007
- Partner since 2014
- Dutch Association of Tax Advisers
Awards and citations
- "He is intelligent and commercially minded." A further source enthuses: "You can trust him to guide you through complex legal matters"
Chambers Europe 2019
- Michiel is recognised as a "leading lawyer'" by Legal 500 which states that Michiel is "pragmatic, business-driven, accurate" and can "play” with the technicalities of complex deals
- Chambers mentions that "he has excellent knowledge and the ability to adapt and think on his feet" and "he offers a lot of alternative solutions"