Michiel Sunderman is Partner and head of the Amsterdam Tax practice. He is an all-round tax expert, specialising in M&A, financial restructurings, fund structuring (with a focus on private equity and carried interest structuring), corporate, cross border and structured finance transactions.
- Advising AMC Networks on the acquisition of substantially all of Chellomedia, the international content division of Liberty Global, for EUR€750 million
- Advising Staples Inc, on the sale of its Printing Systems Division to CoBe Capital
- Advising Gamma Holding on the sale of Clear Edge Filtration to the Filtration Group Corporation
- Advising Montague Private Equity LLP on the acquisition of DORC Holding B.V., a surgical ophthalmic disposables and equipment platforms manufacturer and developer
View all news and client work featuring Michiel Sunderman
Career and qualifications
University of Groningen (Economics and Econometrics) 1996
- University of Groningen (Law) 1996
- New York University (Master of Laws, Taxation) 1997
- Freshfields, Amsterdam and London 2000
- De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek, Amsterdam 2004
- Admitted as an advocaat in Netherlands 2006
- Joined Clifford Chance 2007
- Partner since 2014
Dutch Association of Tax Advisers
Awards and citations
- Michiel Sunderman has a strong focus on the tax aspects of corporate transactions, including IPO listings, acquisitions and sales. Clients state: "He is technically very good, he is creative and practical," and also appreciate that "he works on solutions rather than problems."
Chambers Europe 2020
- "He is intelligent and commercially minded." A further source enthuses: "You can trust him to guide you through complex legal matters"
Chambers Europe 2019
- Michiel is recognised as a "leading lawyer'" by Legal 500 which states that Michiel is "pragmatic, business-driven, accurate" and can "play” with the technicalities of complex deals
- Chambers mentions that "he has excellent knowledge and the ability to adapt and think on his feet" and "he offers a lot of alternative solutions"