Jeroen Ouwehand is the firm's Global Senior Partner. He is an experienced disputes lawyer and, until recently, leads the firm's European Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice.
He specializes in financial, commercial and corporate litigation and arbitration and has ample experience in acting in cross border disputes. While he has experience across many industries and sectors, he has particular expertise in the financial and oil & gas sectors.
- Acted for Barclays in the high profile litigation in connection with the takeover of ABN AMRO Bank N.V.
- Acts for the Russian company Promneftstroy – a company majority owned by, until recently, Renaissance Capital and VR Capital – in high profile litigation in the legal aftermath of the bankruptcy of Yukos Oil Company (once one of the world's largest non-state oil companies). Promneftstroy purchased substantial assets out of the Yukos Oil bankruptcy. The validity of this sale is being disputed before the Dutch courts by former senior executives of Yukos Oil on the basis that the bankruptcy of Yukos Oil is alleged to have been in breach of Dutch public Order.
- Acts for Bank of America Merrill Lynch in a prospectus liability case relating to a rights issue by Fortis in 2007. This EUR€13.4 billion share issue by Fortis, which was underwritten by BAML, was at the time the largest capital raising ever in Europe.
English Law and International Arbitration for China's Belt and Road
19 June 2019
Davos 2019: The next global crisis - are we ready?
31 January 2019
Corporate Criminal Liability
26 April 2016
“How does litigation work in ...” - A country-by-country report
5 May 2015
Corporate Criminal Liability
24 March 2015
- Clifford Chance, Amsterdam
- Email me
- Save my Vcard
- Speaks Dutch, English, French, German and Spanish
- Practice area Regulatory enforcement & white collar, Litigation, dispute resolution & risk management, M&A corporate
- Sector Banks, Telecommunications, media & technology, Energy & resources, Oil & gas
Career and qualifications
- University of Leiden (Law) 1989
- Joined Clifford Chance 1992
- Admitted as an advocaat in Netherlands 1992
- Partner since 2000
- Member of the Vereniging Corporate Litigation
- Member of the Vereniging Corporate Mediation
- Member of the legal committee of the American Chamber of Commerce
- Member of the board of Sport & Zaken
Awards and citations
- Jeroen Ouwehand is recognised as a "great strategic challenger with a close eye on the ball," who "maintains a helicopter view in complex cases and has a commercial approach to finding solutions"
Chambers Europe 2019
- "A sharp-witted litigator and also a good negotiator. He is always result-oriented, knows how the wheels spin and is familiar with his counterparts.
Chambers Europe 2018 – The Netherlands – Dispute Resolution
- "Jeroen is fantastic and one of the people you like to put in front of senior management. He is engaging, really sharp and he deals with anything they throw at him."
Chambers Europe 2017 – The Netherlands – Dispute Resolution
- Clients appreciate his "technical skills, clear communication and keen attention to client service."
Chambers Europe 2016 – The Netherlands – Dispute Resolution