Ilse van Gasteren specialises in restructurings and insolvencies, advising clients ranging from chemical group Lyondellbasell to leading financial services firms such as RBS, ABN AMRO, Rabobank and ING.
Ilse is also a regular speaker at conferences and the author of numerous articles for legal journals, amongst others regarding the subject of Dutch enforcement processes and Schemes of Arrangements in The Netherlands.
- Advised Senior Lenders in the restructuring of Ad van Geloven, which included a debt for equity swap - 2013
- Advised LyondellBasell in the worldwide restructuring, involving a Dutch share pledge enforcement process together with a Chaper 11 procedure in the United States. - 2011
- Advised Senior Lenders in the landmark restructuring of Schoeller Arca Systems, which included the first implemented Dutch share pledge enforcement restructuring leaving behind the Mezzanine Lenders. - 2009
- Advised the Senior Lenders in relation to the insolvency and pre-pack arrangement for LG Philips Displays - 2006
EU directive on restructuring frameworks: The same, but different?
26 June 2019
Restructuring Solutions in Europe - Promoting and Embracing Change
5 April 2019
3 August 2018
Famed case: what is the importance of the Dutch Hoge Raad judgment?
27 March 2018
Revised draft 'Dutch scheme (WCO II)'
11 September 2017
Career and qualifications
- University of Groningen (Law) 2001
- Admitted as an advocaat to the Dutch Bar 2001
- Joined Clifford Chance 2001
- Grotius/Insolad Specialisatieopleiding Insolventierecht (Postgraduate education for Dutch insolvency specialists) 2008
- Finance and accounting (Specialisatieopleiding Financiele Economie) Erasmus University Rotterdam/Insolad 2011
- Counsel 2012 - 2018
- Partner since May 2018
- Member of INSOLAD (Association of Dutch Insolvency Specialists)
- Member of Insol Europe (European association of insolvency specialists)
Awards and citations
- Ilse was recognised as a key contributor to the “Restructuring Deal of the Year”, which involved Lyondellbasell’s $24bn debt restructure
IFLR Europe Awards 2011
- Ilse comes recommended as a “leading lawyer” by IFLR1000 and is listed as insolvency and restructuring lawyer
Chambers Europe in 2013 and 2014