Floris van de Bult, an Amsterdam based employment Partner and the Co-head of the Global Employment practice, advises on both domestic and international companies on strategic employment matters such as board room advice, remuneration, cross-border reorganisations, investigations, diversity & inclusion, high-end litigation and the employment and benefits aspects (including incentives) of complex international M&A transactions.
- Advised EQT Infrastructure on the acquisition of Dutch telecom and infrastructure company CIF/CAIW, owner and operator of telecom infrastructure connecting more than 350,000 households in the Netherlands. EQT is a leading alternative investments firm with approximately EUR€37 billion in raised capital across 24 funds
- Assisting OBA Group B.V., on downsizing and restructuring its business and mass lay off of almost 40% of its employees, negotiations with the works council and trade unions and subsequent litigation against its works council at the Enterprise Court of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal (Ondernemingskamer). The case was won by Floris van de Bult, IJsbrand de Jong and Marije Senne.
- Acted for NSI N.V. in the legal proceedings at the Amsterdam District Court and Court of Appeal against NSI's former CEO on his Long Term Incentive. Both cases were won by Floris van de Bult and Marije Senne.
- Advised Aegon on the structuring of its reorganization and the related negotiations with its central works council. Negotiations were led by Floris van de Bult, assisted by Iga Mamczarz.
- Advised Adyen on a variety of strategic employment matters, such as its Remuneration Policy, the global roll-out, contracts of senior leaders, COVID-19 related issues and immigration and secondment issues. The team is led by Floris van de Bult, assisted by Sara Schermerhorn and Marije Senne.
News and client work
- Author of "Transparent and Predictable Working Conditions in the Netherlands" dated 22 June 2022
- Authors of "Beloningsbeleid bij verzekeraars: historisch perspectief en blik op de toekomst", published in Tijdschrift Financieel Recht in de Praktijk, dated November 2019
- Author: "Remuneration policies of Dutch insurers", published in Tijdschrift Financieel Recht in de Praktijk (FRP) dated 7 November 2019
- Authors of "Wetsvoorstel implementatie Aandeelhoudersrichtlijn: wat betekent dit voor de bezoldiging van commissarissen?", published in Bedrijfsjuridische Berichten dated September 2019
- Author: A legislative proposal implementing the revised European Shareholder Rights Directive, published in Ondernemingsrecht dated September 2019
- Author: The legislative proposal for further remuneration rules for the financial sector - "Wet nadere beloningsmaatregelen" dated 30 August 2019
- Author: ''Eneco judgment'' of the Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal, published in Ondernemingsrecht dated November 2018
- Contributor to "Enquête - Verhouding bestuur en raad van commissarissen", published in Ondernemingsrecht d.d. 18 July 2018
- Co-author of "De Aandeelhoudersrichtlijn en beloningen van bestuurders, grote wijzigingen?", published in Bedrijfsjuridische berichten d.d. 3 July 2018
- Author: The public consultation of the Dutch Ministry of Finance, in relation to potential measures regarding fixed pay in the financial sector
- Author: "The shareholders' Directive and remuneration of board members, big changes?", published in Bedrijfsjuridische Berichten dated 3 July 2018
Career and qualifications
- University of Leiden (Law, Master) 2003
- Admitted to the Amsterdam Bar as an advocaat 2003
- Allen & Overy 2003-2015
- Seconded to Vedior N.V. (now part of Randstad) 2005
- Seconded to Allen & Overy Paris office 2007
- Post Graduate Employment Education Erasmus University Rotterdam (cum laude) 2009
- Joined Clifford Chance as counsel and head of the Employment practice 2015
- Partner since 2016
- Member of the VAAN, VvA, VPR, and the VFR, respectively the national associations for employment law specialists, the association for privacy law and the association for financial law
Awards and citations
- Clients endorse Floris Van de Bult for being an "outstanding counsel who understands his clients and delivers exceptional service and quality." Other clients point out that he is "highly responsive, sharp and he always provides practical and high-quality advice with a focus on finding solutions." He has a broad employment law advisory practice, including assisting with the transfer of employees and remuneration matters.
Chambers Europe 2020
- "He is hands-on and practical,"states one client, while another reports: "He is capable of explaining difficult regulations in an understandable and constructive way"
Chambers Europe 2019
- Floris Van de Bult primarily focuses on transactional employment matters, but is also valued by clients for his "knowledge of financial regulations for remunerations in the financial sector." He is also praised for his "outstanding technical knowledge and depth of experience," and clients regard him as a "highly trusted adviser who is extremely responsive, service-minded and sensitive to organisational needs and the human side of employment matters."
Chambers Europe 2018
- Floris Van de Bult is a "trusted advisor who has in-depth knowledge and proactively thinks about the questions of the client before he considers them."
Chambers Europe 2017
- Clients admire that he "gets the market and our business. He's also pragmatic and commercial and will have a good commercial debate with you on options and risks."
Chambers Europe 2016
- Floris Van de Bult "is responsive, smart and willing to go the extra mile." He is noted for his negotiation skills and ability to guide clients through uncommon areas of employment law.
Chambers Europe 2015
- Clients say he is "very service-orientated, to the point and easy to work with, with the ability to grasp new concepts and problems quickly," adding: "He is also very personable which makes you feel comfortable as a client."
- Floris van de Bult is rapidly making a name for himself in the employment market, frequently working on reorganizations. Clients praise his open-minded approach to finding solutions, and one client comments: "He is able to build constructive, open, working relationships whereby he is eager to add value to our business. He is a great pleasure to work with." He recently advised Cargill on a number of reorganizations in its Dutch businesses.
- Floris van de Bult has developed as a trusted advisor on fraud and compliance issues.
Legal 500 2013
- "Floris van de Bult is recommended"
Legal 500 2013