Leng-Fong Lai is the office Co-Managing Partner and the Head of Capital Markets Group in Tokyo and specialises in all forms of capital markets and structured finance instruments including receivables and other asset-backed securities, commercial mortgage-backed financings, structured MTNs, equity-linked and convertible securities, securities repackaging and other forms of securitised derivatives, hybrid securities, project bonds and other infrastructure financings.
Leng-Fong also advises banks and sponsors on project and real estate finance and investments in Japan.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- National University Singapore (LLB) 1998
- Admitted as a solicitor in Singapore 1999
- Clifford Chance, London 2000
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2001
- Clifford Chance, Tokyo 2005
- Registered as Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi (England & Wales) 2008
- Partner since 2010
- 1998年 シンガポール国立大学 （LL.B.）卒業
- 1999年 シンガポール弁護士資格取得
- 2000年 Clifford Chance - ロンドン
- 2001年 英国イングランド＆ウェールズ弁護士資格取得
- 2005年 Clifford Chance - 東京
- 2008年 外国法事務弁護士（英国法）
- 2010年 パートナー就任
- Member of the Law Society of England and Wales
- Foreign member of the Dai-ni Tokyo Bar Association
- Member of the Singapore Academy of Law
- Member of the Law Society of Singapore
Awards and citations
- Leng-Fong Lai is highlighted by clients for his "responsiveness, approachability and flexibility." He focused on structured financial products, as well as asset-backed financings and project bonds.
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019, Capital Markets: International: Securitisation & Derivatives - Japan
- Leng-Fong Lai is ranked as a "Highly Regarded" lawyer
IFLR 1000 - 2019 Japan Capital markets: Structured finance and securitisation
- Leng-Fong Lai is described as "highly regarded for his work on securitisations, and has recently been very active on repackaging matters. He is noted by sources for his good commercial awareness."
Band 1: Japan Capital Markets: International Securitisation & Derivatives, Chambers Asia–Pacific 2018
- Leng-Fong Lai is ranked as Leading Individuals: Foreign Lawyers (Gaiben)
Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2018, Capital Markets: International Firms and Join Venture
- Leng-Fong Lai is ranked as a highly regarded lawyer
IFLR 1000 - 2018 Japan Capital markets: Structured finance and securitisation
- Leng-Fong Lai is prominent in the market advising on securitisation and structured products deals. He is commended for his business sense, with one client saying that he "understands commercial issues, and will try to develop solutions that put the client in a good position."
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016, Japan, Capital Markets: International: Securitisation & Derivatives (Band 1)
- Leng-Fong Lai is ranked as Leading Individuals: Foreign Lawyers
Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2016, Japan Structured Finance/Securitisation: International Firms and Joint Venture
- Leng-Fong Lai is ranked as Leading lawyer
IFLR 1000 - 2016 Japan Capital Markets: Structured finance and securitisation